1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot sizing system

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I ordered a Cast Iron air Vibrator (hopper style) to separated different sizes of shot. Have any of you designed a system to separate shot utilizing this method? I have some idea's as to how to make a system. But, I would rather not reinvent the wheel. If someone has already designed a system, can you share the information?

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

kind of wonder how your thingy is going work screen is only way I know but I didnt make the wheel

3. shot410ga

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

That's a cool machine. In the seed and grain business they are called "trommels." They can be used for sizing or cleaning. I've sold lots of them in my career.

There are also "pocket" sizers. They are cylinders with holes drilled on the inner surface that catch only one size of particle as it rotates.

Installed in a series, one after another and running a stream of mixed size shot through several machines, eventually you will have separated all the sizes from each other.

5. shot410ga

Barry: Are Trommels (pocket size) cheap enough for our little shot making operations?

The others are interesting. I bought a wire waste basket from Wally World to install in my Cement Mixer. But, I haven't as yet installed it or figured out how to make it work.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

When I was making shot (just for my own use) I had a very low tech shot separating system. I picked up several aluminum thin bottom pans with long handles at a yard sale. I drilled appropriate size holes in the bottoms of the pans. Each pan would separate about four handfuls of shot in around 45 seconds with a lot of shaking over a plastic dish washing pan. Worked fairly well.

Pat Ireland

7. shot410ga

Pat, I've tried the hand shaking method. It's not for me. Not very efficient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.