1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOT SIZE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

i know the size of # 8s and # 7 1/2s , and the enegery at different fps. what i want to know is there a lots of differents in broken birds between the two at the same speed and both having 1 1/8 oz. more enegery with one more shot with the other. OR is more of a mind thing ?

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

It's definitely something to think about.

Jim

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

It is a mind thing, shot has nothing to do with breaking targets. Just put your mind to it and ya will break all of em.

Gne J

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Both sizes will break targets at all distances encountered in registered trap shooting. Beyond that a bag of #8s will contain a significant population of pellets that are actually closer to #7 1/2 in size and visa-versa. You can drive yourself insane trying to prove or disprove which is better or you can just load a bunch of #7 1/2 or #8 shells and go out and smash targets knowing that what ever is in the shells will get the job done.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

7.5's Or 8's? Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I like 8.5s. at the 16, I guess......

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

And I like 9s for skeet, close mid sporting, and 16s and don't feel one bit hampered - in fact, I prefer the extra count of pellets......Bob Dodd

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I shoot trap, skeet and sporting clays almost every week of the year. I love long range targets at the sporting clays range. The longer the more I like them. I do all my practice there with a 3/4 ounce 20 gauge load. I usually have a mix of shells, 8's, 9's and 7 1/2's. There have been days when only the 7 1/2 shot would consistantly break the long targets. I know it is the shot size because I shoot several back to back and compare results. Sometimes it is dramatic. I don't know if weather effects how easily targets break but I suspect it does. Some days the 8's work as well as the 7 1/2's and some days the 7 1/2's are clearly better for the longest shots.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

OK wheres the math guru's, compare 7.5s vs 8s what is the diference of potential energy between the 2 at 1200fps. The old guys at our club says it takes 4 8s to do the job of 1 7.5????fact or fiction? I just use 7.5s for everything.

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

How about green remington hulls vs gold hulls? Same old S---? Get somethingt new out thar guys !!!

Lou

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I read somewhere that 9's at 20, 8.5's at 30, 8's at 40, and 7 1/2's at 50 all had roughly the same energy.

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It's a tough call but for a given choke the size of the usible pattern seems to be smaller with 7.5.

Joe

12. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have broken targets with light 9's from 27. I would suggest you check different loads on a pattern board. Different guns handle different loads better than others. I have guns that pattern 8's more consistently than 7 1/2 s and vice versa.

13. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Forget the 7.5 vs 8 shot....#9 shot or #12 is my question....:)

14. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I asked my girlfriend about it and she said if she had a choice 8 would be great. I asked about 9 and she swooned and forget about 12. Bill

15. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

I shoot a 1 oz load of #7 1/2 & #8 home made shot mixed together.
    It's shooter ability that gets the shot to the target; not the size of the shot.
    The target doesn't know the difference of what size shot is hitting it, or at least my targets haven't said anything to me yet.(tee!hee!)

Oh, by the way I also shoot a fixed choke in my Ljutic single barrel.
    When I'm on the bird it smokes and when I'm off, I'm off.
    I don't profess to be the best shot out there but I do enjoy shooting trap.

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Geez....

Which has more kinetic striking power;

A 9mm or a 45 acp?

Hope this helps??????

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.