Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOT SIZE

3K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  grnberetcj 
#1 ·
i know the size of # 8s and # 7 1/2s , and the enegery at different fps. what i want to know is there a lots of differents in broken birds between the two at the same speed and both having 1 1/8 oz. more enegery with one more shot with the other. OR is more of a mind thing ?

#4 ·
Both sizes will break targets at all distances encountered in registered trap shooting. Beyond that a bag of #8s will contain a significant population of pellets that are actually closer to #7 1/2 in size and visa-versa. You can drive yourself insane trying to prove or disprove which is better or you can just load a bunch of #7 1/2 or #8 shells and go out and smash targets knowing that what ever is in the shells will get the job done.

#7 ·
I shoot trap, skeet and sporting clays almost every week of the year. I love long range targets at the sporting clays range. The longer the more I like them. I do all my practice there with a 3/4 ounce 20 gauge load. I usually have a mix of shells, 8's, 9's and 7 1/2's. There have been days when only the 7 1/2 shot would consistantly break the long targets. I know it is the shot size because I shoot several back to back and compare results. Sometimes it is dramatic. I don't know if weather effects how easily targets break but I suspect it does. Some days the 8's work as well as the 7 1/2's and some days the 7 1/2's are clearly better for the longest shots.

#15 ·
I shoot a 1 oz load of #7 1/2 & #8 home made shot mixed together.
It's shooter ability that gets the shot to the target; not the size of the shot.
The target doesn't know the difference of what size shot is hitting it, or at least my targets haven't said anything to me yet.(tee!hee!)

Oh, by the way I also shoot a fixed choke in my Ljutic single barrel.
When I'm on the bird it smokes and when I'm off, I'm off.
I don't profess to be the best shot out there but I do enjoy shooting trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.