Trapshooters Forum banner

Shot size

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  6541 
#1 ·
Just purchased Eagle brand, magnum shot in #8 and #9(made in Peru).

How does the shot size compare to magnum Lawrence( American made) shot in # 8 and # 9?

I shoot mainly skeet (#9) and some 16 yd and 23 yd. range handicap (#8) in trap.

Note: Eagle is $4 cheaper per bag than Lawrence in central Missouri, so another reason I am shooting it.

#2 ·
I always buy Eagle brand magnum shot in size 7 1/2 as my understanding is that Eagle shot follows a European measurement which produces shot of one size smaller than American shot.

Eagle shot size 7 1/2 works fine for me anywhere on concrete in a 1 1/8 loading at 1145 fps using a Federal paper hull, 18.5 of Green Dot powder, Federal 209A primer and a Claybuster 12S3 clone wad.

I really like the Eagle packaging. Their shot seems to me to be clean and to have a uniform dark, shiny appearance. The shot in Federal Top Gun shells shoots fine but looks like concrete gray ####.

Ed Ward

#3 ·
A useful formula for remembering the diameter of American numbered birdshot is simply to subtract the shot size from 17. The resulting answer is the diameter of the shot in hundredths of an inch. For example, number 8 shot gives 17-8 = 9, meaning that the diameter of number 8 shot is 9/100 or 0.09".

#6 ·
It's not quite accurate to say that European sizes are "one size smaller" than US shot sizes. See photo from the bottom of a S&B cartridge box.

If in doubt, get out your calipers or your micrometer, and measure.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Electronic component Hardware programmer

#7 ·
Good information. Over the years I have learned many things on trapshooters.com. One thing I have learned is that many individuals, God bless them, like to measure, analyze and graph all manner of data concerning trapshooting. I like to read their posts but I am not one of those. I have a gun that shoots where I look and a favorite load that shoots similar to Federal Paper extra light 7 1/2.

I prefer to buy STS or Lawrence shot when it is available. If these brands are not available, I will buy Eagle. From what I have heard (no actual measurement), Eagle is smaller, size for size, than STS or Lawrence so I buy Eagle in 7 1/2.

I like a full 1 1/8 oz. load of large shot at 1100 - 1145fps and shoot fixed full choke Remington barrels. Others may want smaller or less shot or more open chokes. Shoot the shot in which you have the most confidence.

I have cut open new Federal Paper shells and the shot appears to be uniform, dark in color and shiny. When I cut open a Top Gun, the shot does not look as good but they seem to shoot well for others. I grew up on Federal Papers and they are my favorite shell. I also like the Federal ribbed Gold Medal shell.

When I shoot, I don't want to wonder about shot size. All I want to think about is to get a good look at the target. I like black smoke on target breaks. Makes me feel good.

For whatever reason, the Federal Paper extra light in 7 1/2 shoots great for me, even at 27 yards and beyond. I used to shoot 3 dram loads but the extra light loads seem to fit my timing and swing speed better.

Ed Ward

#9 ·
1straightshot.

My hunting partner of many years (and a KY state handicap champion) took many a rabbit, squirrel, quail, dove and woodcock with 1/2 oz. of 9's shot out of a .410 bore 870 skeet gun. He was lightning quick on quail and sometimes would drop three on the rise and only shoot the cock birds. For him, the 2 1/2" .410 Federal "spitfire" load was wonderful. I would pick out one bird and use a 1 1/8 oz. of 8's on it.

That said, even with a 1 1/8 oz load of 9's shot out of a full choke, I would not have 100% confidence of breaking the bird.

I like larger shot especially 7 1/2's.

Ed Ward

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.