1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot size when shooting Handicap events

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trapshooter-Mom, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapshooter-Mom

Trapshooter-Mom TS Member

I have a question for the experts. Is #7 1/2 shot better than #8 shot when shooting Handicap. I see a lot of shooters pulling #7 1/2 shot out of there bags when they shoot the Handicap events. Currently my son uses #8 shot when shooting from the 19 yard line. I just want to make sure he is given the best chance at breaking the birds.

2. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

trap shooting great used 8s for every thing.

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

lol........get ready for the flames!!

8 shot will break targets from the 27 yd line, but being larger 7.5 shot has more energy, so the question would be,...do I have good breaks using 8 shot, or would I pick up a couple of extra targets by having a stray 7.5 shot pellet hitting the bird when I'm not quite on the target.

tony

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Trapshooter-Mom, a question, what load does your kid use now, 1-1/8 or 1oz? Ride the clay out farther than average or shoots rather quick? If bio clays are used, shoot the heavier shot, those are a little tougher to break than a pitch clay. Hap

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are those that shoot 8's all the way back to the 27 yardline, but from the 19 yardline back to about the 23 or 24 yardline 8's are just fine ... Beyond the 24 yardline try 7 1/2's just for yucks and let your son can tell if there is a difference, then go from there ... There isn't much of a change between the 16 and 19 yardline ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Trapshooter-Mom

Trapshooter-Mom TS Member

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. My son currently uses 1 1/8 oz #8 shot so not to make things more confusing we will stay with the same ammo we have. The shells we use now doesn't hurt him and he shoots around a 90 at 19 yards so I think he will be ok for now. I just see a lot of shooters using 7 1/2 and just wasn't sure if we were wrong.

This is why I like using these Forum's and most trap shooters are very helpful even at the shoots.

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

a friend of mine for big money handicaps uses 9's, 4's and 5's.
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.