1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Size to Use

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

I shoot from the 16 yard line using a Remmington 1100 with a 30" full choke barrel. What size shot should I use?

2. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

This is an old tired discussion however I will add that it doesn't make a difference in my humble opinion. I use Hummason shot and I have opened bags labeled 7.5 that was mixed, 8's or 9's and shot it and couldn't tell the difference from the 16 yard line.

3. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

use what you have, the full choke is going to give you enough pattern density.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Kentucky 9's have always worked best for me. I use 1 1/4 oz going 1250 fps.

ss

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'll get the popcorn and drinks....

7 1/2 or 8's perhaps even 8 1/2's or 9's They will all work well from the 16 with a full choke.

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

At the 16 you can throw gravel at them! As long as you throw it in the right spot, they break.

Ajax

7. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Whatever is on sale.

8. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

Ground up corn cobs works at the 16,I use 1 0z. reclaimed,7.5 for caps.......

9. 1atatime

1atatime TS Member

The above posts are correct. Don't get so bound up in trivia that you forget the goal is to hit the target. Virtually any good shooter will tell you that if you miss a target, it wasn't because you had 8's instead of 7 1/2's. Likewise, when you hit one, it was because YOU hit it, not the "magic BB".

Shoot well.

s

10. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I like #8 shot up front. But I'd shoot #7.5 and not think a thing about it.

11. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I hope we all do not forget that we are getting new people joining TS.Com all the time. They are going to have the same burning questions that we have all asked and have had answered for us. Let us welcome these folks and give them thoughtful answers to their questions and resist the temptation to be "know it all" smart asses.
    If the topic of the post is something that you already know everything about, let it pass and keep the new people feeling that they are welcome and are not asking dumb questions.

my 2 cents

JMAC

12. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I use 7 1/2's for just about everything. Once in a while I'll shoot 8's in an effort to use up the 20 or so bags of #8 I have.

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

+1 Jmac....

Wayne

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Heck, been shootin' trap for 52 years and I still don't have a good answer.

15. tomc66

tomc66 Member

This forum is very harsh to either new shooters or people like myself who only shoot occasionally. Trap shooting needs new people entering the sport if it is to survive. The "experts" on this forum make it very difficult for the new guy.

16. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I use West Coast shot 8s in warm weather and 7 1/2s in cold weather. 1 1/8 oz max for Trap loads.

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Come on Tom. I joined the forum back in 07 when I first started shooting trap and have learned tons here.

I disagree on harsh to new shooters and the occasional shooter. I believe just the opposite to be true.

You have received some very rational answers to your question, and some non-personal tomfoolery based on past threads.

1. For 16yd targets it really doesn't matter that much.

2. Enjoy the site and mine it for wisdom. The search function works really well.

3. Maintain a healthy sense of humor, and interject it often to the discourse.

All the best,

Guy Babin

18. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Hey Tom,

As you have probably figured out, from the 16 yard line it doesn't really matter. I use 1 1/8 oz. of 7.5's for both singles and handicap. If you prefer a 1 oz. load I would stick with 8's for everything. Shoot well and shoot more often! My 2 cents.

Mark

19. BD457

BD457 Member

I was using 1 1/8 of 7.5 for everything but have recently changed to 1oz of 7.5 for everything all the way to the back fence. I also use a full choke for everything. I'm probably going to start using 7/8oz from the 16 and 1oz past the 24. My son was using 8's back at the 27 and break'n 'em.

Mike

20. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Tom, I was not trying to be harsh but I should have taken more time with my answer.

We shooters shoot anything from reclaim, and some of it looks like gravel, to the hardest nicest shot available. At the 16 if you put the shot where it belongs, it will break the target.

The last sentence is the most important and you need not to pay attention to the rest. Sometimes that is a hard lesson to learn for all of us. Just drop "whatever" in that tube on the 1100 and go to work.

Ajax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shot size usage