1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot size separater?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Several years ago someone on TS.com was selling about a fifteen inch square pierce of metal for separating shot. All of them had the same diameter big holes so was of little use to me. What I would like is a way to separate No. 9's from say 7 1/2's and 8's. I have several hundred pounds of reclaimed shot and plan to pick up some more soon but would like to be able to separate it. Any suggestions or knowledge of known product. Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Mine is the strainer basket from the 5 gallon pail of B-K Carburetor cleaner.

Holes are .085.....perfect.

Bought just the basket at a parts house. I don't think you will get it at Auto Zone or like that but a Napa mom & pop might have one.

HM

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I use test sieves and a sieve shaker. The sieve numbers do not track shot sizes, the sieve number is the number of wires per inch. The number of wires and the diameter of the wires determine the opening size. A 7 1/2 shot is nominally .095 inch, #8 is .090 inch, #8 1/2 is .085 inch, a #9 is .080 inch. A #8 sieve has .0937 openings, this allows small 7 1/2's, 8's, 8 1/2's and 9's to pass. A #10 sieve has .0787 which will pass small 9's. They make a 2.5mm which has .098" opening and #7 has .106, which will allow a more stratified sort, but I have not been able to find either in my price range. I do have 3 different #8 sieves that have slightly different sized openings.

I use 6 sieves and a catch pan. First I use a #6 (.230 openings) to cull any large shot. Next is one of my #8 sieves that has slightly over-sized openings, it catches big 7 1/2 and larger shot. Next is one of my #8 sieves that has normal openings, it catches nominal 7 1/2's. Next is one of my #8 sieves that has slightly under-sized openings, it catches small 7 1/2 and nominal 8's. Next is a #10 that catches small 8's and nominal 9's. Last I use a #100 last it catches small 9's and 10's. The #100 is not necessary, but it separates the loose graphite and dust from the last fraction.

I bought the sieves and sieve-shaker on ebay. New sieves are expensive $40-$75. You can find used sieves on ebay for $10-$15 each. The sieves-shakers are several hundred dollars but you can sometimes find them cheaper. I paid $100 for mine.

Michael Goines

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I took 3 totes that fit inside of each other left 1 with no holes then drilled holes big enough for the 8 and halfs to go threw(9s go too) then the next only hole big enough to let the 9s go and throw em all in and rock it back and forth for a few and they are done and contained. Dump into the respective containers and you can do alot in a few minutes. Most time spent is drilling the holes.

Jerry Lewis

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Mc Master Carr has screen to fit just about any size you want I use 12" 12" .100, .090, and .085, and put them in the bottom of milk containers. Stacked three high just give them 5 min. or less of shaking. But, I like the sample sieve system better. I may try that way, although more expensive.

MAG410: What brand sieve shaker did you buy, and how much shot can you process at a time?

6. 1oz

1oz Member

Jack, i sent you an mail yesterday of the guy that sold the screens not sure if he has same address now but he is from West Virginia i have used his screens making shot and they work very well if you havent recieved my email look in spam or I'm me .

jim

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

<html>

<head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
    <title>New Page 2</title>
    </head>

<body>

shot410ga<br>
    <br>
    My sieve shaker is a Soiltest  CL505A.  It is old and out of
    production.  The newer ones have a more sophisticated <br>
    action but I don't know if they will handle as much weight as the old ones.<br>
    <br>
    I run about 15 pounds to a batch.<br>
    <br>
    I "clean" the shot with a vibrator with a #16 test sieve bolted to the
    top.  I mounted a "bunt" cake cover under the sieve to<br>
    keep the bulk of the dust off the motor.  The dirt and anything else
    smaller than the mesh fall through.  Light trash comes to<br>
    the top and I remove it with a vacuum.  My reclaimed shot had red dirt
    mixed in, the shot is "clean" when the shot turns grey<br>
    and the small amount of dust also turns grey.<br>
    <br>
    While the shot is being cleaned, I have another batch of "cleaned"
    shot in another vibrator with graphite.  <br>
    <br>
    A third batch is in the shaker.<br>
    <br>
    The cleaning takes the most time, but once I get started there is not much
    wasted time.<br>
    <br>
    One #8 sieve and a catch pan will give you 2 fractions.  Big shot, and not
    so big shot.  Big shot for 1 1/8 oz loads.<br>
    Not so big shot for 1 oz loads.<br>
    <br>
    Michael Goines<br>
    <br>
    SieveShaker.jpg <br>
    <br>
    sieves.jpg <br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>

</body>

</html>

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

1OZ, Thanks for the reply. I emailed you back but it may have gone to the junk mail. I already had three of those screens I purchased from Him but they only work to separate 6's or larger from the rest of the shot. I did appreciate your response though. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

screens for separating reclaimed shot

sieve for reclaimed shot