1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot size for pheasants

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BIGbill, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Going to south dakota for my first pheasant hunt. Should I take some 4,5,or 6 shot. Will be hunting the second weekend of the season. Was planning to take some buffered 6's, but have heard that they might be a bit small for wild birds. Any thoughts?

BIll Payne

2. BIG B

BIG B Member

Take 4 and 6, let the birds tell you which is best.

3. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

R U hunting over dogs? It makes a BIG difference.
    Joe Jordan

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I use a 20G Mod. 50. I like the 5's or the 4's.

5. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Hard to beat 5s

6. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I shoot buffered copper #6 but you will see more #5 stocked in the stores these days. Copper really cuts through the feathers and penetrates. The wound channels are pink, not black. Birds seem to die in the air. Sometimes it is fun to go first class. Ron

7. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Going to a place i have never been, and neither have the guys i'm going with. They have dogs at the place (guided hunt) they are labs, i think the idea of taking both 4 and 6 shot is a good one.

Plan to shoot a browning O/U, probably mod/full.

What do people hunt in the afternoon? I heard everybody gets there limit by noon, hate to drive all that way for half days of hunting.

8. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

6's are fine. If you are on them, they will drop.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I use nickel plated 7s in fall and nickel plated 6s in winter. The 7s penetrate well into the body cavity. The 6s break bones into splinters.

If the birds are getting up long I use Winchester Supreme buffered copper plated 6s. If you are using a tight choke for this load, make sure you don't shoot at anything closer than 35 yards or you'll have to relegate that bird to the stock pot. It patterns TIGHT.

Nickel plated draws almost no feathers. Copper is better than lead, but not as good as nickel. If you are interested in nickel, B&P sells several lines of shells with nickel plating over 3% antimony shot.

10. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I am a member of a group who travels to Kansas each year, in pursuit of wild pheasants. We have had good results with buffered, copper-plated 5s.

Keep in mind that these birds know exactly how to take advantage of the tailwind when they flush, and can be "out there" in rather short order.

I like both the Golden Pheasant loads and the Super XX, loaded with copper 5s.

11. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

My dad and uncle both used the heck out of Remington Express Max. 1 1/4 oz. #2 lead.

They did not use dogs, claimed there were too many birds (South Dakota)in the 50's and 60's and it would drive the dog nuts.

You may think #2 is too big but I can tell you it only takes one BB to bring one down and they rarely move from where they go down if hit in the body.

#2 will usually pass clean through and not shoot the birds up too badly.

I have seen way too many cripples and birds that got away with #6's

I used my single shot trap gun about ten years ago (Michigan with my dog)
    with some #5's, I think most every BB hit the bird because it was so close.

I had a neighbor who used a 20 gauge with #8's and did quite well with it so I think what is most important is to put the shot on the bird but the larger shot sizes will give you more range, energy per pellet and a cleaner kill.

tom

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I have killed pheasants with 8's, 7.5's, 6's, 5's and 4's. With a 12, 20 and 28 ga. Main thing is getting on them and use a little lead (forget the tail, this time only :D) Why not take some of both. If shooting an O/U, 6 for the first shot and 4's for the second. If an auto 6, 6, 4, 4, 4. Probably won't lose many that way. Have fun.

13. theclaysmoker

theclaysmoker TS Member

shot roosters all over montana with 6,7 1/2. they do the job

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Where the hell is Pheasantmaster?

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you're hunting with a good dog(s) and you are a good shooter, then you'll need nothing heavier than 7-1/2's.

Curt

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've shot many hundreds of Pheasants with 4's through 9's. I'd opt for copper plated 5's as the gold standard for great kills. 1 3/8oz. reloads really chew 'em up!!

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Fiocchi nickel plated 4's. Especially after the first day

18. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Pheasant on a rotisserie I often said if most people could taste a pheasant chickens would not exist. I always like larger shot #2 or #4 kills instantly if hit well less damaged meat and will pass through birds better makes cleaning easier and biting into shot is not pleasant. My advise is to use #2 and head shoot them thats when you know you are a serious meat in the pot guy.

19. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I shoot over pointing dogs and use the same oads I use for Trap - 1 oz. of 8's over 16.8 grains of Green Dot. I also encounter a lot of Quail so this load does not destry these small birds.

20. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

4's or 5's. 4's make the fold every time. Sometimes 6's will just injure them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best shot size for pheasants

shot size for pheasant

shot size for pheasant hunting

shot size for pheasants
size shot pheasant
what shot size for pheasant
what size of shot for pheasants

what size shot for pheasant