1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot size for distance?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trap2, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Phil.... I, personally, don't think 81/2's should be used at all for handicap, regardless of what yardage you are shooting. I believe they lack the energy necessary for good handicap scores. They may be fine for singles and first shot on doubles, but I would opt for 8's from the 20 yard line back to about the 25. From the 25 and back, 71/2's are my preference....Dan Thome (Trap2)

2. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

7 1/2's or 8's...doesn't matter which.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I agree with what Dan Thome said.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Much depends on your choke!

By mistake, I shot 8 1/2s at 25 yards and broke a 98, then ran 25 in the shoot off. That was with a full choke.

Worked for me!

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Phil: I am not a long yardage shooter. I shoot from the 24. I would not be afraid to use 8's from the 27; if I were ever good enough to make it back that far. However, as mentioned, weather, (especially wind) is a factor and on a windy day 7 1/2's might be a better choice. What I am starting to do is mix 7 1/2 's with 8's. (50/50 mix). Don't know if this helps, but it gives one a more comfortable feeling. My opinion only. ED

6. piddie

piddie TS Member

If you're tired of dusting targets, just go to 7 1/2's for everything. Your scores will go up.

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Too much kitchen table information - absolutely zero science. Tis easy to say that 7 1/2s will break them but 8 1/2s won't. Sorry, I think you all are FOS.

My personal experience involves a .410 bore shotgun. A 1/2 oz load of #9's can easily break handicap targets. The ones you miss would not be broken just by using larger shot.

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Yup Use those 8-1/2 anywhere..........just think of all the pellets........

GS

[I'll be using 7-1/2]

9. docshank

docshank TS Member

I've got to where I use 7 1/2 for everything. One less thing to worry about.

Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shot size and distance

shot size distance

shot sizes and distances