1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot size change/choke change?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

Have gotten comfortable with Rem. Premier STS Lt. Target 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8oz #8 for the 16 yard single and 20 yard cap. Suddenly the past two weeks I can't find the shells anywhere and my supply is dwindling. Today I picked up two cases of Nitro STS lt. handicap 3 dram 1 1/8oz #7 1/2 to fall back on for a shoot this weekend. Still groping my way learning here but here's my thought/question. Is it an unwritten 'rule' that we shoot full choke for trap or would switching to IM to open up the pattern of the lesser amt. of shot in 7 1/2 shells make sense? Will get a chance to try it out on Thursday at practice but wondering if everyone sticks to the 'full choke' train of thought?

Thanks.
    Bill

2. Billster

Billster TS Member

BTW: They're not 'nitro'...don't know how that slipped in there. my mind - strange.

b

3. oz

oz Active Member

use the same choke BUT if you change to 1 oz or 7/8 oz CHANGE chokes. oz

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I don't change chokes for any of them - another mind confuser to think about instead of eyeballing the bird.....Bob Dodd

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Choke to smoke... It is a full ckoke game...

6. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks. I'll give it a try on Thurs. If I'm not seeing the hard breaks I've been getting will stick with the full. Yeah..can understand the 'confusion' factor once we get involved in equipment jockeying.

b

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Opening the pattern with fewer shot would be backwards if you were going to do that kind of thing, but leaving everything alone is an even better idea, as all here advise.

Neil

8. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

16 to 20 yards, you won't notice any difference between I/M and Full............

Ric C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.