1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot shell tracers info.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by coffee, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coffee

coffee Member

What can be loaded into a shell that a shooter can see that when fired they can tell where the majority shot is in relation to the target? Such as high low right or left. Thanks

2. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

do a search, a fellow was marketing them on here about 4 months ago. His manufacturing facility is in Oregon.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

They are worthless

Save your money

regards from the great state of Iowa

Gene

4. coffee

coffee Member

I'm not looking to buy, I want to make the shell even better if I can rather then buy. Thanks COFFEE

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Coffee,

I bought some of the tracer wads marketed by NW Research on this site. They worked as advertised but they are a little spendy. The tracer wad loads like a regular target wad. The tracer does provide an idea about where the shot charge is going and they would be a useful training tool for a new shooter. For the more advanced shooter, regular trap loads will provide all the information needed about where the target is in relation to the center of the pattern. Just watch how the birds are breaking.

6. coffee

coffee Member

wolfram.. not interested in where they hit it's when they MISS. COFFEE

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I tend to be more interested in the hits that result in something other than an ink spot. The tracer removes that level of feedback because you are looking at a bright spot not the bird. Hence they are a tool for the novice.

8. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i shot some tracers and broke the target while the tracer marker missed. i don't think much of them.

9. dblell

dblell Member

There is a guy selling tracer wads on ebay. I bought a box (about 500) of them and loaded them with 1 oz shot. They SOMETIMES produce a small red flare/dot that goes out with the shot. My comment would be that they would best be watched by a 2nd person as they seem to be hard to see by the shooter.

10. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

Hello
    A gentleman named Del Meisner was selling shotgun tracers a while back, he sent out sample packs. I tried them & then i bought a case, the guys at the trap club loved them they worked great for young shooters to see what they were doing wrong I will add his contact info & you be the judge?

Northwest Research and Development Inc.
    nwreserach2003@yahoo.com
    503-999-4617
    Thanks
    JR

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I contacted Del Meisner to get some of his tracers. He said he would send me some samples. I never heard from him. I then tried to buy some from him. Once again, I never heard back from him. Is he still in business?

12. jackw

jackw Member

I had the same results as hoghunter. I bought a case of the tracers from Del and have loaded about 200 rounds with them. I've found them to be effective with new shooters or someone shooting a new gun. There needs to be a second observer though if you lift your head to early to look at the tracer bad things happen. Lost. I have found that about 10% of the tracers stay in the wad instead of staying with the shot. This may account for the target breaking and the tracer not near the break. Overall everyone that has tried them thinks that they work very well.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Try a 1/8 teaspoon of talcum powder over the shot before crimping. Works real good under the lights at night and everyone thinks you are shooting reclaimed shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.