1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot rolling out of barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I just shot my first 50 reloads. A couple of issues; there were 4 "light" loads and 3 others had a few shot running out after the gun was fired.

I'm using 12g Remington Gun Club, AA wads, winchester primers, Hodgen's International Clays powder and a Mec 600.

My loads are 8.13 oz. and 18.4 grains of powder.

Should I be concerned and is there something I'm doing incorrect?

Thanks,
    Blueraven

2. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Well you tell me what I need, but not why I need it.
    Thanks,
    Blueraven

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

How are you getting 8.13 ounces of shot in the hull?

4. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I have a scale that I use to measure the shot output. The scale accuracy is confirmed by measuring various coins. The scale only goes to .00 so I have my universal charge bar set to measure out 8.13 oz. of shot for an 8 1/8 oz. load.

Blueraven

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Most likely the reason you had some light loads is that you got in a hurray and slid the charge bar over too fast also check for lint etc in the powder charge area where the bottle screws on and in the actual drop area. As for the shot rolling out after you shot I have not a clue how that could possibly happen, even if you spilled some shot in the powder bottle. But that would be the most likely explanation that I can come up with. I also didn't get it about the 8.13 oz's weight. At first I thought it may be the total loaded hull weight but is to much. Jackie B.

6. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Eight and and one eighth ounces of shot in a single shell? Where do you put it all - half way up the barrel?

And I thought an ounce and a quarter was a heavy load. How much powder do you need to get all that lead past the muzzle - a pound?

Sure gives a new meaning to the term "heavy load".

Wonder what it feels like to shoot it . . . on second thought, I don't want to know.

Ted K.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I>" I have my universal charge bar set to measure out 8.13 oz. of shot for an 8 1/8 oz. load."</I>

Looks like there is something wrong with his typing. I think he is dropping 1.13 oz for a 1 1/8 oz. load.

But it's beyond me how he has shot running out of the barrel after the gun is fired. Any shot in the powder should be melted by the discharge.

MK

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The joy of the new shooter-reloader . Had a guy shot one next to me one time . He had his bar in backwards 1.1/8 OZ. OF POWDER not much shot .

Please get help the life you save may be mine .

9. KooJo

KooJo Member

You are loading on a Mec 600 and both your powder and shot go thru the same drop tube. First check the drop tube for trash/rust build up inside the tube.If it'a metal drop tube polish the inside, the newer ones are plastic I think. Next are you using new shot or reclaim Shot. Reclaim shot it could have been tumble with a little to much oil/graphite mix when they were do it. I did this once with our reclaim shot we were mining years. You could see the shot flying in the air.And it put a coating inside of the drop tube (Mec) and my powder charge was off and I had light loads. Next are the inside of your shells dry or where they pick up at the range after rain storm. Any shells I pick up at the range I wait about a week before I use them as reloads to make sure they are dry. Check you powder bushing make sure no rubber gasket is in the way to keep your powder from droping thru. It you still have a problem call Mec Good luck Koojo Alaska
    PS are you useing a new can of powder or did someone give it to you. Your problem could be old powder that got wet some how.

10. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

No I didn't mistype, I'm putting 8 oz of shot in the shell.

I figure if I can't hit the damn rock with my marksmanship, maybe if I throw more shot at it will make up for it:)

No seriously I meant to type 1 1/8 oz.

I'm going to load up another 50 and see if the issue repeats itself. I shoot a single shot break open so if this happens again, the shot should roll out once I break it open. That's what happen last week.

We'll see how it turns out next week and I post what happens, assuming I'm still around to post it:)

Thanks,
    Blueraven

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

BlueRaven81, first off you need to get the right type of scale. You need to get a reloading scale that reads in GRAINS. Their are 437.5 grains in a one oz. load. So a l & l/8 oz. load should read 492.2 grains. You say you are getting 18.4 grains of powder, but how do you know if you can't weight it. Next get a screen type collinder out of the kitchen and place a bowl under it and pour all your powder through it and get the shot out of your powder. Its more than likely mixed in it and someone at your club gave you a good deal on it, Right. No Problem it will work fine after you get the shot out. This will give you better powder drops so you don't get the bluppers and shot running out of your barrel. It makes sense to take apart all shells you have already loaded and reuse all the primers,powder,wads,shot in them for correctly loaded ammo. That is why the first poster told you to get a shotshell dismantler from the Unloader. He is a fellow shooter who makes the best shotshell dismantler I have ever used, it saves the wad from being cut and mades it easy to save all your components from being wasted. His name is Gary Bulley, and if you start a post and ask for him, he will find you. I suggest you buy one of his unloaders, its money well spent. Now "GET" use a good scale and get to work. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would make sure you have a scale designed for reloading. It sounds like you might, but you need to be certain about your powder drops. What kind of shotgun are you using? Shot rolling out of the barrel AFTER you shoot a round is quite unusual and would concern me. I would highly recommend that you find someone that is an experienced shotshell reloader and have him/her walk you through the process. If you give us an idea of where you are located, maybe someone here would be able to help you out. Either that or find someone at a local club that has the knowledge and experience to assist you. Reading a few good manuals may help as well. Lyman publishes a decent shotshell handbook that has a bit of detail on the loading process. Mec also has great tech support, but you need to be able to explain the issue to them in a way that they can help you drill it down.

One thing that may give you weak sounding loads, is keeping your shells in a vehicle in colder weather. Cold temperatures can have a dramatic impact on a shotshells performance. International Clays is a slightly slower powder and may be adversly affected by cold temps in lighter loads.

13. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I have to agree with unkown1. I think the op means 1.13 for 1 1/8oz of number 8 shot. As for shot in the barrel after a shooting, the only way I can see that possible is shot mixed with the powder. I checked the recipe for a 1 1/8 load and its a soft load 1145fps at 8600psi. I would make sure that shot is not mixed with powder and slow down and take your time make sure all the powder and all the shot drops.

John MI

14. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I am using a Lee powder scale and I checked the grains every 10th shell, mainly because everything is new to me and I wanted to see if the reloader was accurate.

Every 10th shell weighed pretty much the same; 18.4 grains.

The Lee scale only measures up to 110 grains so I can't measure the shot on it.

The scale I'm using for the shot is a decent digital kitchen scale that calibrates at turn-on and seems to be pretty accurate.

I believe the light load may be caused by me just going too fast. I'll slow down.

I believe the shot roll may be due to shot being in the powder. Perhaps when I was measuring the shot I poured it into the powder jar by mistake. If this is the case, I won't make that mistake again.

I will check the power and make sure it's clean of shot.

Thanks all for the advice.

Blueraven

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I think the problem is the kitchen scale in some way.

Let me illustrate:

On the left, an 8 oz. lead fishing sinker; on the right, a 2 3/4 12 ga. shell:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>
    On the left, 8 oz of Eagle #8 shot (soft, heavy); on the right, the 12 ga shell:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Get the idea? Forget the powder and the wad... 8 oz. of shot won't fit in a 12 ga. hull unless you've found a way to warp space-time!

MK

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

B-raven, if you don't have a proper scale, you need a fixed charge bar, not an adjustable one. That's where to start, throw the adjustable bar away - they are just a hassle at best, a danger at worst when not used right. And until you get it, DON'T RELOAD! You are doing something completely wrong. I can't imagine what, but it's SOMETHING.

Neil

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What wad? ;)

18. folothru

folothru Member

the loads that are letting shot fall out the end of the barrel you are probaly behind them,add more powder or make your gun shoot higher

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The only way shot would fall out of the barrel after shooting, would be shot in the powder winding up behind the wads base. You gotta be careful which bottle you pour the oopsies into? :) Hap

20. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

8 and 1/8 load of shot? That means you are getting only 49 shot shells for each 25# bag of shot. Quit reloading and just buy new shells. It will be a lot cheaper. Bulge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.