1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Rhythm

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I watched a few round singles last Sunday before I started shooting. A few of the birds were shot "early" and a few late. But, most birds were shot within a couple of yards of each other. It seemed I could count "one-thousand-and-one" between the time I first saw the bird and the break would occur on the second "one." This is about a second.

With a bird launched at 42-43 mph, say 42.5, in one second with no loss of speed, the bird would travel just over 20 yards. That would mean a break at 36 yards. Actual yardage with some loss of speed would be 34-35 yards, most likely.

First, is this a good yardage for breaks at singles? If not, is there an optimum break point?

Second, if there is an optimum break point, should you get into a rhythm like this while shooting? It would keep you from jumping at the straight-aways and riding the angles (or jumping or riding any birds). See the bird, count mentally "one-thousand-and-one" or "boom-a-lack-a" or some such thing and pull the trigger.

Wouldn't it be best to break singles birds at the same point on every shot?

BTW, I'm watching my new Phil Kiner DVD as I type this.

Danny

2. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

You should probably pay more attention to Phil's video and less to BS.com. Just a suggestion, however.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Saying or chanting anything requires just another step in the process. During "practice", I would say out load I SEE YOU before moving my gun. This seem to help my scores by developing a sense of timing. I believe in having a clear mind when doing anything competitve. You want the brain to do the job at hand, auto pilot if you may. You want to leave YOU out of it. I have only been shooting trap 1 year 7 months. what do I know? Heres a few things I noticed/observed. When Shooting my field 870 or browning Gold. I had better scores when I let the target almost peak at the top of its flight path. My learning so far Both guns are flat shooters. Making this a more of a flat shot???? Now when I shoot my XT that I have patern to shoot higher 70/30 Im picking the targets off at about half that distance. 1200fps is 818.18 miles per hour Tatget moving 42.5 mph is going 62.3 fps. I would say on average my targets are taken at the same yardage. If the gun fits and the shot charge is going where you are looking. Your swings,mount are consistant. If you see the target and are on it they will break.

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Rhythum in trapshooting is alot like rhythum in sex.......you just got to know when its time to pull the trigger! Next question?