1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by racer, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racer

racer TS Member

Does Magnum 8 shot weigh more than chilled 7 1/2's ? Dan

2. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

It actually weighs a little less because magnum shot contains 4-6% antimony which is less dense than lead.
    In the real world, I doubt it makes much difference.

JMAC

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Dan, I think you must have reversed the question you meant to ask, since the answer to the one above can only be the 7 1/2's since they are not only denser but also bigger.

Did you mean to ask:

"Does chilled 8 shot weigh more than magnum 7 1/2's?"

Understand that when posters on TS.com even hear us whispering about things like this they will go ballistic and shout that even thinking about that when we shoot will make us score about 10 in an event of 100 targets and bring them down with us and it'll be our fault.

So let's see how we would answer that question and try not to draw attention to ourselves at the same time.

The volume of a sphere varies as the cube of its diameter,so the ratio of volumes of 8's (0.090") and 7 1/2's (0.095") will be as the cubes of those numbers and I get

0.090^^3 = 0.000729

x

0/095^^3 = 0.000857

and that makes the volume of the 7 ½'s bigger than the 8's by about 857/729 and that's about 17 percent.

So if both were pure lead, the 7 ½'s would be about 17% heavier.

But let's say the 7 ½ is hard, meaning that about 5% of its lead has been replaced by antimony, which is only half as dense as lead (to the accuracy we do this.)

So let's say we have a ball of lead (representing the 8's) that weighs 100 somethings and a second (representing the 7 ½'s) which weighs 117 somethings.

Since in the alloying process, we drop out five percent of the lead, we slice 5% off this 117 ball and leave 177 - (117) x 0.05 = 117 -6 and get 111 as the weight of the ball now.

But now we add back a volume of antimony equal to the lead we took out and has a weight half that of the lead or 3.

So we now have 7 ½'s with a weight of 117-6+3 = 114 somethings and find out that the big determinant of the weight of a pellet is just its size and making it hard has a much smaller influence. In this case, 8's vs 7 1/2's, the alloying has only about one-fifth the effect of the size change. But that ratio will depend on the sizes of shot compared.

Neil

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have weighed both and have found that, after lots offrustration, that a 25 pound bag of magnum shot weighs the same as a 25 pound bag of chilled.

5. racer

racer TS Member

Neil- you are correct I wrote the question backwards. In my defense I typed and posted quickly because my wife was taking me for a walk. (no leash)

Thanks, Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.