1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOT PRICES?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by berta686, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berta686

berta686 TS Member

This may be a dumb question but is there any thing that we as a group can do to try to get the price of shot back down. Thanks Neil McClain

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yes - stop buying it. Low demand will drive the price of the supply down.

Ed

3. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

And pay down our national debt so the dollar will strengthen...

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Ed, didn't that fail the last time you tried it?

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It takes more than one person doing it for that to be effective. I said then and I'll say now that if we all would not buy any shot for three months, the shot manufacturers would feel the pinch and do something to help the gun shops move their higher-priced inventories and order more through their distributors.

A supply that exceeds the demand for it always triggers price reductions of some sort. In the automobile industry, for example, they come in the form of financing incentives and rebates. Regardless of the exact form of the savings, it does result in a savings to the consumer.

Ed

6. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Ed is economically correct. Buy/shoot reclaimed shot for an extended period and new shot prices will fall. If you don't see a drop in scores and I bet the vast majority will not), just keep shooting the reclaimed.

Joe

7. wlc

wlc Member

Ed's proposal would only work if you believe that shot makers are responsible for the price of lead. I doubt that lead shot makes up a very big percentage of the lead market. They need to make a profit to continue in business.

8. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

One thing about shooting reclaimed shot. You're buying American at that point. Look at it like the Minute-Men using melted down lead soldiers to make mini-balls against the British. If that helps, lol. Jim

9. maka

maka Member

This is really funny. Previously there was a post asking how much shot you had on hand. Memory serves me right? Some had 20 bags, some 2 tons, some 1/2 tons. As long as some continue to be greeded and hoard, price will not change. Not to long ago we saw this with primers and powder. Then later we heard all the whinning!!!

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't know about his prices today but a couple-three years ago I traded wheel weights for shot with Dave Smith of Dixon, Il. It is better than new with more size consistency and roundness. He can be reached at 815-284-3004 or e-m him at dmsmith1942@yahoo.com. He's a real gentleman to work with and you won't be sorry. As with most things that have weight where you live can make a difference. Dave Promen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.