1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOT PRICES

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RAD, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAD

RAD Member

Stop by the new Bass Pro Shop in Mesa Az. yesterday. Shot $39.99 plus tax per 25# bag.

2. bkms

bkms Member

Thats $5 a bag cheaper than the Bass Pro Shop in Jackson, Mississippi. But that was three weeks ago so its probably went up another $5 by now. Bob....

3. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

One place that I stopped by had it for $35.99 per bag. and another place had it for $36.00

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I was at the Penna. state shoot today, the vendor that was selling west coast mag shot for $26.99 a bag told me that his supplier informed him his end of july new order will going up. He informed me he will have to sell it for $32 a bag come Aug. Rio primers $85 a case, winchester primers $135, Remington primers $141 a case, all prices plus 6% sales tax.

George

5. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

$35 US = 25 Euro. Three years ago it was 1/1. The decline of the dollar is costing us more for shot, copper, gold, wheat, corn, oil, natural gas, and everything else.

Budget deficit and trade deficit are the causes. Get those under control and everything will be cheaper.

And some say Republicans are fiscally conservative. Looks to me like their low tax/high spending policies are killing us.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If the local club is not buying lead and reloading components for use by it's membership, I must ask why not?

A dollar savings is a dollars saving, and in most cases, much more. Even factory shells can be a deal when purchased by the club.

A purchase at Gander Mt. or Bass Pro Shop should only be a last resort. They are not in the business to give serious clay target shooters a price break and for the most part not the market they are after.

7. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Make your own shot or get used to the fact that the price of shot or any other reloading component isn't going to go down any time soon.
    Look at the possibilty of a Better Shotmaker by Jim Stewart. The cost is only $350.00 for a Single Bowl unit which will make approximately 45lbs of shot an hour with # 7 1/2 drippers.
    Black Max Single unit (has double hole drippers) is $425.00 and makes approximately 80-85lbs per hour with # 7 1/2 drippers.
    $640.00 for a Double Bowl unit that makes approximately 90lbs per hour with # 7 1/2 single drippers.
    With a little effort and elbow grease you can make your shot for about $3-$5 a bag. Gander Mountain and the Bass Pro Shops can sell it to the suckers who have the money to pay their price.
    Quit whining about the price and make your own shot as my husband and I do.
    Ellen O'Connor

8. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

If thirty thousand shooters started making their own shot. The price of lead would be the same. There are only so many old tire weights to be had. So the ones that can get the used lead now wouldn't be able to because every one and their uncle would be grabbing every bit of free or cheap scrap.

Rock

Jim

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It will continue to go up as long as we continue to buy it. Stop buying it for a while and see what happens. Maybe nothing good will come of that, but it's for sure what will happen if we don't try something.

Ed

10. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I have a limit on what I will pay for shot. It has reached that limit when it hit $30.00 a bag. It is not that I can't afford it, but the principal of it. I think it is now a rip off, so I will either buy hand pored shot from someone or quit shooting. PERIOD.

I also said to myself when gas hit $3.00 a gallon I would save money and I have. I burned more than twice as much gas as I do now when it was $2.00 a gallon just because I felt I needed to go places. So the big gas rip-off scumbag companies are loosing money on me.

MR

11. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I'm with Ed on this idea. Lets all stop buying it for a few months and see what happens.

Dale,

12. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

Boycotts do nothing when those boycotting do not hold a significant amount of the demand. This is simple economics and you can no more boycott lead (shot) than you can oil (or gasoline). You can certainly cut back, but a boycott is only going to hurt you or take you out of the sport. Same thing with oil - you can boycott oil all you want, but if you have to go to the market for groceries...how are you going to get there? Besides - there is not a significant amount of profit in either Lead or Oil, which is the only place where prices could be lowered.

Furthermore, you only have two options regarding lead: buy lead or stop shooting. If you want to stop buying lead, you have to stop buying shells (which have lead). You may have a stockpile of lead, but you are still going to run out at some point. When you do, lead will probably be more expensive and you will face the shoot or buy decision at that point.

Please note that recreational shooters are a VERY small portion of the lead-purchasing community (though military uses may be significant, I am unsure about this point though). Even if ALL trap shooters stopped shooting for a year and purchased no lead or shells, we would likely come back to find lead prices much more expensive and probably shell prices through the roof (lack of production causing fixed-cost to be distributed over fewer shells, causing them to cost more to manufacture).

Bottom line: If we all stop buying lead, lead prices will continue to climb - we have NO effect on the worldwide lead market price. Boycotting lead as shooter is like boycotting air...neither one is going to work very well.

Thanks,
    Kyle

13. mikee

mikee TS Member

in england shot is £1.25 per lb, at todays exchange rate that is $2.50. who's being ripped off?

mike

14. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

As previously stated, we are a small fraction (nearly zero percent) of the lead market. If you buy from a retailer like Bass Pro or even your local gun shop, there may be an extra premium charged just to carry the stuff. Not a good time to buy a ton, but split amounst a few high volume reloaders, I think it would be OK. Prices won't be coming down anytime soon.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Forget about shot prices I cant even find shot locally. Ive contacted a few places about large orders for club no calls back? Our normal supplier has dropped lead all together. Mayco Industries help us out.

16. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

17. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I can understand the price of shot raising because of the skyrocketing price of lead, but the cost of primers doubling in two years is just garden variety gouging.

Buz