1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Price "Down"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Shot Price

I priced shot several weeks ago and it was $29.50 a bag in Wisconsin. Today I checked Recob's prices and they had it for $28.49 a bag. (Remington hard shot) Now I know it's still outrageous, but maybe the market is getting a little soft and the companies decided to drop the price a little? Anyone noted this? Ed

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shot Price

Metals markets are outrageously high. I had to do some wiring last winter, and Romex I paid 17 a coil for was 60 dollars.

It's possible the high prices created more production. I know some marginal silver mines are back in business, now they can be profitable with the higher prices.

HM

3. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

Shot Price

Was in a Bass Pro Shops store in Northern Indiana today,
    it was still $29.95 there. Connies Components is selling
    for $28.95 per bag DELIVERED, still a bit high but I guess
    that is what the market will bear. The consumer still has
    the big stick. Don't buy at high prices and the prices will
    come down (unless the dealers want to get stuck with the
    Inventory)

AdamsRibs

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Shot Price

Adam: I check last night on Connies. When you click the shot link, you get a message that it went up to 31.99 Delivered due to shipping price increasing.

Adam's Ribs... Great M*A*S*H episode. MASH was so much better with Trapper and Henry Blake. I guess they had better story writers and no influence from ALan Alda. When he took over, the show went from comedy to anti-war drama.

"You had Adam's Ribs flown all the way to Korea and you forgot the Coleslaw?"

Funny shit

5. esoxhunter

Shot Price

First of all Recob's had no shot, (except #9) 3 weeks ago. Midwestern Shooters Supply, (who are very comparable to Recob's), had shot 2 weeks ago for $29.50 per bag of Lawrence magnum shot. (This is what I based the comparison on) Recob's has relisted prices on a new shipment of shot in all sizes for $28.49 per bag of Remington hard shot. And if you read their website it seems that they will lower the price if one orders a large quantity. Ed

6. esoxhunter

Shot Price

Bass Pro Shops have nice places to "visit". Their pricing on most shooting supplies border on the verge of being ridiculous. (Similiar to Cabelas and Gander Mountain) Ed

7. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Shot Price

Current dealer cost at one dist. for Lawrence brand is currently 28.00 a bag and 27.00 a bag by the ton purchase.

8. esoxhunter

Shot Price

If "Deercreek's" figures are correct; Recob's listed internet price of $28.49 a bag is a bargain! Ed

9. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Shot Price

Thats why it is ALWAYS a good idea to never be short of some supplies! I bought 40 bags at our state shoot last summer for $17, to add to the 30 bags I already had. Hopefully I can set it out till the prices come down a little. Besides, you never get a good price buying small quantities!

10. esoxhunter

Shot Price

I just got off the phone with Midwestern Shooters Supply, (Lomira, WI.). Shot is $30.50 a bag / $29.50 a bag (10 bags or more) and $28.50 a bag (80 bags or more). I then again visited Recob's Target Shop's internet site and viewed their prices of $28.49 per bag. Compared to prices reflected at most retail shooting outlets; the prices have changed somewhat for the better. AND I still maintain that Recob's had a limited amount of shot, (and only in #9) for $29.50 approximately 3 weeks ago and now have # 7 1/2- 8 / 9 for $28.49. Ed

11. leadvail

leadvail Member

Shot Price

Shot the other day and won some $$ and stopped @ sportsmans and bought 10 bag's @ $30.99 . The way I see it is if fuel keep's going up, $ 30.99 might seem cheap in 6 mo.

12. grammie

grammie TS Member

Shot Price

Again,,,,,"lead" is a commodity,,,,and as such the price is controlled by more factors than "demand"!!!

Mix in high gas/fuel prices,,moe than double what it was 3 years ago,,,and the expense involved in recovering lead thru mining,,and then refining,,plus the country of China exploding in the way the United States exploded in the 50's and 60's,,with a car in every garage,,and a dog in every pot!!!! And what you have is a "run" on natural materials!!! This "run" could quite possible be an extended run for metals with their normal dips and flucuations of course,,,But its easy to see China expanding and growing in technology and manufacturing,,,which by the way,,will outpace our own before too long!!!! We could easily see record prices being set for the next 20 year cycle!!!! Just a thought......

AKA Grammie..........

13. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Shot Price

Funny side now that they taken lead out of gasoline should give it away Jon PS bought a deep cycle battery yesterday 70 bucks at sam club 9 buck core

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Shot Price

I just got 25 cases of Top Guns for $30 a flat. I wish I could have got 200 cases but it was a limited offer.

I love to reload but not at that price. $28/bag for shot - 350 loads per bag - plus primers and powder - DUH!!

No, it is not a "regular" deal but it was legal.

Don

15. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Shot Price

$26 a bag no tax for Lawrence in NJ.....Don

16. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Shot Price

OT doesn't always mean "Off Topic"

14 boxes per bag, 2 bags per week, $30.00 per bag = $60.00 a week.

ONE hour OverTime per WEEK = $22.00 after taxes ( your milage may vary)

Price of shot = $19.00 per bag.

TWO hours OT = $44.00

Price per bag = $8.00

Sorry, you salary guys are screwed.

AJ100

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Shot Price

I wholeheartedly support what AdamsRibs said. If we keep buying shot at these prices, you won't see it come down anytime soon. It's the old supply and demand thing at work - we can't control the supply but we have everything to do with the demand.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have two choices - cut back on our shooting now so we buy less shot and/or fewer shells or keep shooting and buying shot and/or ammo at the same rate until the cost of them forces us to stop shooting altogether. Everyone has a point at which they either cannot or will not pay the asking price for something. Can you afford to or be willing to trade a $100 bill for two bags of shot and sales tax? If so , keep shooting and buying it. If not, cut back now so you and your kids can afford to shoot later.

I know that's not a popular idea right now, but it'll sound better and better as shot prices keep rising. Then it'll be like it is now with gasoline - we'll gladly pay thirty bucks a bag for shot just as we're happy to pay less than three bucks a gallon for gasoline.

Ed

18. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

Shot Price

Ed, In theory you idea has merit. However, I think if the demand for shot falls, they will divert the supply of lead currently allocated for shot into another alternate profitable market.

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Shot Price

"I know some marginal silver mines are back in business"

During a previous shot price surge (70's) I was told that much of our lead comes as a by-product of silver (and copper?) mining. More silver mining equals more lead on the market.

Believe it, or not.

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Shot Price

Dog, you could well be right but we know for sure what's going to happen if we do nothing.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.