1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Shot pellet trajectory calculator?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

I cant find an actual chart for this or a calculator- I know that the BC of a sphere changes dramatically depending on velocity.

We are trying to figure out the trajectory of 7.5 shot based on maximum range or elevation of from 24 to 30 degrees

This trajectory curve will allow us to see if a change in elevation or the building of a berm will be advantageous or practical to limit the maximum range of pellets

I cant find an online calculator or detailed chart

Can anyone help?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find such info for shot up to buckshot sizes for hunting purposes, to no avail.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What goes up must come down. HMB

4. creek

creek Member

Here is a rather rough chart, but I think accurate for your purpose.
    John Radtke (CREEK)

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/shotgun_statistics.pdf

5. captin

captin TS Member

Thanks for asking for that gene,,,,,and creek,,,,that is something I have also been looking for for a long time and never been able to find,,kinda thought it may not be something anyone had ever cared to find out..

Gona be very helpful to me on something I plan on doing.

captin

6. spitter

spitter Active Member

Contact SAAMI - Sporting Arms and Manufacturers Institute in Newtown CT... affiliated with the NSSF.

Their computer models can answer your questions...

Jay Spitz

7. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

I have tried a couple of ballistic simulators but there are several things wrong with them

First the problem with round shot is that the shot changes ballistic coefficent significantly

Bullets change also but it is not very significant

Second there is no provision for maximum elevation projections

Gene

8. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

It isnt only the max distance it is the actual trajectory

We might be able to build up a berm to intersect the trajectory- thus shortening the max distance

Gene

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Mission impossible. HMB

10. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

We only need to shorten the max distance maybe 20 yards so it is far from impossible

Gene

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You will be at the mercy of the wind, which will change the height of the targets and the distance the shot travels. HMB

12. grunt

grunt Active Member

Our club is in the process of trying to figure out this very thing. We may need to build a berm to prevent shot from reaching the water. The height is the question that needs to be answered. Shot screens are expensive and the poles would need to be a special length.

13. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

HMB the wind is a factor but only a factor- again you can have a safety margin

Its not magic

Gene

14. spitter

spitter Active Member

My question is why an elevation of 24-30 degrees?! From 16 yards, with a gun mounted at shoulder height of approximately 4' at a target height maximum of 17'4" out at 31 yards from the traphouse, gives us a rise of 13'4" over a run of 46 yards (16+31).

Breaking that down further we have 160"/1656" or less than 10%... shooting handicap will only lessen the rise over the run. A shorter shooter would increase the trajectory angle and a taller shooter would flatten the angle further.

Respectfully offered,

Jay

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Gene, if you'll look at that SSports data-sheet: the fps v. drop tables, I think you can back-figure pretty good.

They're showing 225yd max drop for #7½ fired at 30º, but no velocity and no elevation above ground, so their distance-data has to be ±.

Shot drops pretty fast once the velocity bleeds off. If you wanted to plot a smooth curve between their published 10+" drop at 60yds, and out-of-gas at 225yds, falling below a 30º hypotenuse, I'd bet a 15' berm at 180-190yds would catch 95% + of 30º shots, and 100% of anything under 30º.

IIRC, those carpeted berms at Loreto are 12m and the top is 120m from the firing line, and you have a couple of steeper angles at UIT trap, not to mention skeet.

Bob

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

We have a ten foot berm wall around the far perimeter of my trap club. The purpose was mainly for noise abatement. I did some measurements via Google Earth, and the closest portion of the berm wall to a 16 yard shot from station one on a hard right from a trap oriented in that direction is 202 yards. My club restricts shot to 7.5 max., trap loads only.

17. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

So does anyone have pull with one of the shotshell companies? I would bet they can do these calculation (plus throw in wind factors) at a drop of a hat

Good comments and appears others are looking for this data

Gene

18. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

So does anyone have pull with one of the shotshell companies? I would bet they can do these calculation (plus throw in wind factors) at a drop of a hat

Good comments and appears others are looking for this data

Gene

19. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

When you're finished, divide the yardage by .777 for a safety margin. ;-)

20. dk

dk TS Member

While we are at this. Does anyone have any idea how far the lead will ricochet off of the targets at 90 degrees?
    DK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to calculate trajectory of a pellet online calculator

pellet ballistics data calculator