1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot pattern off center

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Neil Winston, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It must be bent. I mean it. You are looking straight down the gun, aren't you? This is so far off it can hardly be a bad choke tube, though it would help to know at what distance you did this test, how you did it, and how far the center is displaced from the POI in inches rather than percent. Then we can be more specific.

I think the final advice will be: "Bend it back."

Neil

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Here's an important question: Do you shoot right handed or left handed. If you
    shoot right handed, the barrel is so far off that it might be impossible to fix. If you're left handed, it's probably you.

It's common when attempting to pattern a gun for a right handed shooter to pull the barrel off to the left because of the way a gun is held and the effect of recoil. Conversely, a left handed shooter will throw the pattern off to the right. Yet shooting targets the gun will shoot straight.

I have a 391 sporting that shoots absolutely dead-on, but the first time I tried to pattern it with a stock that had too much drop and pitch - and using
    3 1/4 dram 1 1/4 ounce pigeon loads, it patterned high and to the left. If you will look at previous posts on the subject here, you will see that nearly all of them are about guns that pattern to the left - and the ones that don't are usually left handed shooters.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Cowboy. Do yourself a big favor and have someone else pattern this gun fo ryou the Neil Winston 13 yard method. Then get back to us. Find a person that knows how to do this bbl test and likely there will be a differnet result. If you live around the twin cities, I'll be gald to prove the bbl for you.

Jack

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

First make sure the barrel is shooting to the right. Shoot ten 13 yard targets from a rest. Shoot them as you would a rifle. If these targets show a POI to the right, it is a barrel problem. That can be fixed by bending the barrel.

If the 13 yard targets show the gun is shooting correctly, then the problem is in the stock or the part of your body that is on top of the stock. Identify the problem first, then do what must be done to correct the problem.

Pat Ireland

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I am with MIA on this one it sound to me like an eye dominance issue to me.

Bob Lawless

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I had a model 12 that shot like that. The rib was off centered with the barrel axis and Simmons fixed it to shoot as it should. There's several ways a problem can pop up with shotguns. Hap

7. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Unless you are shooting the gun from a bench rest and verifying that the beads are aligned both before and after the shot, your results may indicate a gun fit problem and not a gun construction problem. Have one or more other people shoot the gun from a rested position to see if it produces the same result for them.

Carol Lister

8. Neil Winston

Are you a right- or left-handed shooter, cowboyhunter?

Neil

9. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I addition to all the above, for what it's worth,

I've seen Perazzi choke tubes throw a pattern center a foot to the right and 2 feet high. Things happen.

I've seen cheap ammo throw patterns well off center. Put in a good premium AAHS and things go consistently right back to center.

And if it comes to that, Briley can build you a choke tube that will correct the problem.

- - Bill

10. Neil Winston

That's why I asked what shoulder he shoots from, MrkSLC. If it's the right, it's not an eye dominance problem.

Neil

11. Neil Winston

Clair was pretty, I hear, but I've always preferred an eclair. They never say "no."

Neil

12. 7771

7771 Active Member

I had a gun that was like that and i could not figure out why until i had it sent off and come to find out my barrel was bent and the guy i sent it to had to bend it and grind on it but thats a serious problem.
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun shoots off center