1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot or Velocity - which would you give up first ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

In order to reduce recoil...

Which would you be willing to give up first ?

50 fps velocity ?

Or

1/8 ounce of shot ?

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

What are starting points??? Ross Puls

3. John55

John55 Active Member

I gave up the 1/8oz of shot. I keep the loads to no more than 1200fps and recoil is significantly less than any standard 1-1/8oz target load I have tried.

4. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

As a starting point...

My normal load is 1-1/8 ounce at 1145 or 1200 fps.

Just shot 300 rounds in about three hours on Sunday through a MT6. Some were at 1235 fps.

Was a little sore afterwards and wondered if I was missing some due to the cumulative recoil.

Normally my last relays of the day are my best.

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Well with those starting points-----I gave up shot about 1972- went down to 1oz. so wife & I could use the same shells, then again in 1995 down to 7\8 just as a trial & my scores stayed the same (poor) so I'm still shooting 7\8 @ about 1175 for most of my shooting, I do buy a few new STSs. Ross Puls

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Many shooters (myself included) have gone to lighter loads such as the 7/8 oz loads I now use for the 16 yard line, or the 1 oz loads for handicap. I keep both of these loads in the 1200 fps range and they produce little recoil. Others have sucessfully gone as low as 1100 fps or so for the heavier 1 1/8 oz loads to keep recoil down. Either way seems to work for those who have chosen that path to lower recoil, although I find lower speeds affect my leads too much. Try it both ways and find what works for you. But if recoil is becoming an issue (and I think it does for many shooters) then using one or the other method of reducing recoil is definitely a good idea, in my opinion.

Jim R

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

For your condition you will benefit more with shot reduction.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Why not add some more weight to the gun? A 10% increase can reduce recoil by 10%. I would give up weight of ejecta before velocity.

Wayne

9. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I have commonly added weight to my heavy recoiling guns, e.g., 460 Wby or 585 Nyati. Sometimes as much as two pounds of lead in the McMillan synthetic stock.

How does adding weight to a shotgun affect its shooting ?

Will I quit missing targets due to cumulative recoil and start missing targets due to poor gun balance ?

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well I shoot 1 oz ,18.5 grn dot,can't go much lower.And Heaven help me if I go up,got enough complaints that my gun out Barks all the rest(28" ported barrels),even accused of shooting Hot loads.Yes,I weigh my powder,a little anal about that being new,I weigh first shell in,10 shells later,and last shell,per box.

Started loading 1 1/8 at first,thought the drop in both would be best way to go to lower recoil,etc.

Doug H.

11. John55

John55 Active Member

Only you can answer those questions for yourself. I didn't care for the extra weight in my guns, affected the balance too much and killed the dynamics for me. Adding weight to a hard kicking rifle is an altogether different thing as they are shot much more deliberately. The cumulative effects of recoil are what finally made me switch, and the lighter load allowed me to retain my gun's balance and feel. With the 1oz load at the same velocity as your regular loads, you will not have to make any adjustments in your lead or how you handle your gun. It will just kick a lot less, which will allow you to stay fresh a lot longer and keep you on the gun a lot more!

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Somewhere, I seem to recall that for the human body to actually sense a "change", the change had to be more than 10% of "whatever"... (very scientific) (lol)

For instance, to be able to sense a change in the weight of an object - the weight change had to be more or less than 10%... so I'm guessing that a 50fps change in velocity which amounts to less than 5% of a 3 dram equivalent shell, would be undetectable to the human body... whereas a change to ejecta from 1oz or 7/8 oz load (3/4oz for mine personal receipe) represents an 11%, 12.5% or 30% reduction respectively...

At least I think I recollect that that would make a detectable difference...

regards all,

Jay

13. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

The shot :eek:) Jerry

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

After reading Dr. A.C. Jones book thru twice, I'd give up the velocity.

MK

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I would keep both and add a recoil reducer. Tron has installed GraCoils on 3 of my guns in the last year. It does make a difference.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

shot....

17. racer

racer TS Member

You would think one of the high end gun makers would produce a high end gas operated auto for the recoil sensitive folks. I bet they would sell a ton of them. How much kick would a 10(lb) gas operated auto produce? Dan

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I had to reduce the shot charge and add lots of weight to my guns to continue shooting. I'm in the process of adding approx. 32 ounces to the stock on my MX-3-S now.

Hap

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

speed will make up for more errors than shot qty.

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Go to 1oz. 8 1/2's. Nothing but smoke all day long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.