1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOT? NOT TO BE FOUND!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

I am in southwest Missouri and have been looking for #8 lead shot for 2-3 weeks now! I finally get my kids (13 & 16) to load their own shells and now we are about to run out. Anybody have any ideas on where I can get ahold of some without paying thru the nose for shipping. I am willing to drive if I have to (depends on how far, and how much?)

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I'm sure there will be good vendors at the Missouri state shoot. I think that's in about a month.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

A lot of gun shops tell me they aren't buying much shot at a time for fear of it dropping in price and leaving them stuck with a bunch of it they paid a higher amount for. The economy is so unstable right now - things look like they are improving for a week or so then the bottom falls out again.

Ed

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

No shot in Missouri? Isn't that where the lead mines are? And two ammo companies with another across the river?

Hmmmm? I wonder if there is a connection between lead mines and ammo production facilities?

5. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Lynn Gibson-Smithville Gun Club.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

shoottens- The spot market price of lead is much more closely related to the lead battery production rate in China than the desires of some anti-gun group.

Pat Ireland

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Pat - The price spike of a few years ago had a supply component too. There was reduced production at the US mines, and major constraints at the Australian port that handles the shipping of Australian lead ore.

And now China is prosecuting Rio-Tinto personnel in China. Rio-Tinto owns the mines that supply China with their foreign supply of lead ore.

8. missemucho

missemucho Member

Graf's has shot, at least they did a few weeks ago. Our club bought a ton from them at a monthly shoot at Linn Creek for $31 a bag. Check with them; they may be at the shoot there this weekend.
    John

9. Landshark

Landshark Member

I was paying $36.99/bag at Carter's Country in Houston, TX for magnum Star Shot. Last Saturday they had it for $46.99/bag. I had to pass. I was hoping to make to the SW Grand and see if any vendors were selling shot, but work got in the way of that trip.

I pretty much quit shooting skeet/trap/sporting when shot got to be $50/bag here in Houston. Some guys at the club were buying reclaimed shot, and said is ok at best. Not for me, even at $20/bag. I don't have the patience or time to make shot either.

I realize it's supply and demand, but there comes a breaking point in everything. The real tragedy is that my step son and I have been shooting a lot these days and I/we may have to cut back or quit for a while. Damn shame.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

$42.95 + tax at my club.

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Spectulators are holding the price up. Don't buy. Right now China is not buying lead from the US due to some discrepency's and issues with other concerns. More or less they told the US to shove it up their you no what. This is not very well know. I have been getting my lead free from the shops and the scrap yards around here will not take anymore for now.

12. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Bought Remington mag at Smithville for $34 Sunday. Had imported @ $32. Think you can ship 2 bags in a flatrate box. Like the others, I would only buy what I needed for the summer.

13. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Thanks for the help! I am meeting a guy from the KCTA at the MTA shoot this weekend in Linn Creek with enough to get me by for a while.

14. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

The price of lead in China must be going down now that we dont allow them to but it in kids toys anymore

15. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

Shot prices at Sportsmans Warehouse in Columbia SC reduced recently
    from $39.99 to $34.99. Grabbed a couple of bags there last week, but
    betting it is still going lower. Sometimes we win, sometimse we lose.
    It all settles out in tht long run. Don't buy at the high prices and
    the price will come down.

Adamsribs

16. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

I've been getting it for 35 a bag at my club, then happened to stop by Bass Pro Shops...50 bucks a bag!!! Are you kidding me? If I want to get raped I'll go to prison.

Who are these people?

I'll NEVER go back to that POS retailer. They're dead to me.

17. caljohn1

caljohn1 TS Member

need to start shooting trap with 410 ga only then lead would come down, ha ha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.