1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot not dropping while reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lewes, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewes

Lewes Member

I have a MEC 9000 (manual) reloader. Today while reloading 7.5 shot after pulling the lever the bar moved correctly but no shot dropped. This happened a couple of times. If I bumped the tube the shot fell. Earlier I loaded 200 rounds using #8 shot without any problems. The #7.5 is not as shinny as the #8. I am not certain if the #7.5 has graphite. Could this be the reason ? Irv

2. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

12 ga. ?

Usually in sub ga, the smaller shot say #9 will "bridge" in the tube,

Might check the tube to make sure its all clean,

What brand shot do you have?

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

That is why they add graphite to the shot, so that it flows more easily. Larger pellets are more prone to bridging in the tube. You can buy and add more graphite to your shot if it needs some. Mark

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put the shot in a plastic jug with a teaspoon of powdered graphite and shake well before using. You can get the graphite at your local hardware store or John Deere tractor store. HMB

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Make sure there are no strange objects in the bushing, pieces of string and other goofy things sometimes come out of shot bags. Jeff

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I had a bridging problem with heavy charges of #5 or 6 shot. I installed a drop tube for steel shot. It has a larger inside diameter which will prevent shot bridging. 7 1/2 ?
    Clyde

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You can coat 25# shot with a QUARTER teaspoon of powdered graphite easily; otherwise you'll have it everywhere.

Keller

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

Check drop tube,I had a stink bug in my powder tube,did same thing until I got it out.I now put duct tape over tubes when not in use.

Doug H.

9. Lewes

Lewes Member

Thanks for the help. This is a 12 gauge loader. The #8 was a different manufacture and caused no trouble.
    I suspect it is a bridging issue. Will try graphite. Irv

10. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

I had a batch of shot that had some corroded pellets(got wet or something) and would bridge often. I put it in my brass polisher for 30 min. No additional graphite and it polished it up enough that it gave me no more problems.

11. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Be very careful with the graphite!!! I Know, I MAKE SHOT AND TOO MUCH IS WORSE THAN TOO LITTLE! Do as someone above suggested, put it in a brass tumbler for 30 min or so with no additional graphite. I use 1/4 tea spoon graphite to 100# of shot! I use a paint shaker to do the deed. When I started, I used a teaspoon to 25# and it bridged coming out of a two liter coke bottle! Clogged up the loader (PW) and I had to dismantle it and clean everything. Graphite is a good deal when used correctly but don't listen to someone who has never been there.

Ever tried to take too much graphite off of something?? 'Bout like trying to get spots off a leopard!

12. WTW

WTW Member

Take Jim's advice and do not add more graphite. I learned the same lesson. Make sure you check the tub because I had the same thing happen that Doug said. If all failes, cut a quater inch off the bottom of the drop tube. This took care of the reclaimed shot that I had sticking in my tub.

Good Luck, Ted

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

it's not the shot, it's that mec shot drop tube! if you take the tube off and look in it, you'll see that it is not smooth on the inside. it's like a series of undulating, concentric rings up and down the full length of the tube. it's from the manufacturing process, i guess. and i guess they just cut it off at the right length as the tip of the tube has a slight lip on it, on the inside, right where the shot drops into the wad, so the shot bridges. i've had it happen on 3 of 3 9000's. mark the tube setting so you can put it back the way you found it, take it out and counter bore the tip. problem solved. good luck with it

14. Lewes

Lewes Member

Again thanks for the input ! Irv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.