1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot new gun today!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by W.R.Buchanan, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Well I finally got to shoot my new Citori XT 30" today.

I did pretty good I think.

I know I broke the first 10/10 in practice, so I figured the gun would just keep breaking the targets, and all I had to do was load it and pull the trigger. Then I finally missed one, wipes the board clean, and we start over right? Trap is definately the Attaboy game, isn't it?

I was running 18-21 during the rounds. I shot 2 rnds at 16, 2 Handicap at 21, and 2 Continental. Had to leave before doubles but I was pretty tired anyway.

I like the gun alot, and it fits me very well out of the box. Only complaint I have is it does start to wear into my right cheek after about 150rnds. Funny thing is, of the targets I missed, most were strait aways...?

Since today marked the third time I have shot Trap in my life, I figure it might take a little while to figure the game out, but I had a real good time.

I'll probably be a little sore tomarrow cuz I think I used some muscles that were atrophied. But it's all good. I'll do better next time cuz I think I'll do some practice before I go.

Randy

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

you did great! Keep up the good work!

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Randy, You might be raising the gun on the straitaways with your left hand on the forend (if right hand shooter). This is very easy to start doing. This will move your eye over the barrel and cause you to shoot about 3 feet over the target every time. Learn to rock your body back at waist to bring your gun up and this will solve your problem. Remember to keep your body locked above your belly button and move gun with your waist (hips) and back. NEVER move your gun up or down or left or right with your arms or your shoulders. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

A problem with your cheek is a a problem that needs to be investigated. One possibility is that you are lifting your head just a bit. You should be able to put hundreds of rounds out in a day without suffering from any pain - if you cannot, something is wrong

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I agree with Gary. Especially with your new gun. They are nice and heavy which seems to soak up a lot of the recoil, for me anyways. The only thing that should keep your from railing through hundreds of rounds is tired arms. Congrats on a nice new gun!

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Randy, a new gun has this phenomonen for most everyone. the first time you pick it up and fit it to your face, it fits. And usually that is the case for a small number of shots. Then you begin to forget about fitting it to your face and it no longer fits. Then yo need to fiddl ewith the adj comb some.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In trap there are no straight aways. Stop aiming at those targets and they will break. HMB

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

If the gun is hitting you, it does not fit.

It may fit better than the gun you had, but you are not there yet.

Don Verna

9. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Thanks all. I appreciate the input and believe me I won't give up. My shoulder is a little sore today, but it will be normal tomarrow and no worse than any 10 box Dove shoot I've been on, and certainly and not a problem, in fact I could go shoot again today. The cheek is fine. I was only wearing a Tee-shirt with no shoulder padding whatsoever.

When mounting the gun I was having to roll the gun into my cheek a small amount in order to get the beads lined up side to side on the rib. My cheek weld is producing a perfect figure 8 stack so I know the elevation is right.

Hey, first time with a new gun, and I'll do better next time. Also I see the fact that at 60 I've started using a bunch of muscles that have'nt been used for a while. I'll come up to speed rapidly with some dry fire practice.

Our club only shoots trap once a month, but there are other clubs around so I'll probably be shooting more soon. I know I'll never get any good shooting only once a month.

We had one guy there who shot his first 25 strait, and we all lined up and shot holes thru his hat. I'm wearing my least favorite hat next time.

Thanks for all the tips. I will read and anylize every one and see how they work.

Randy

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Randy, Good Luck to you and wear your favorite hat!!! You'll never be blessed by the Trap, Skeet, or Sporting Clay Gods if your wearing your least favorite hat. Besides you want to "proud", not embarassed of your new Trophy don't you. So that you can show it off in sytle. If you shoot long enough you will have some. Don't forget to Break-em all. Jeff

11. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

You are off and running now! Sounds like you have been bit by the trap.

A club that only shoots trap once a month? That is no good for anyone. Do yourself a favor and join a different club that shoots 2-4 times a week both days and nights and has fun shoots (games) once in a while. Go often but don't shoot too much. What I mean is try to shoot twice a week or more but limit yourself to 125 rounds or less of firing each time out this will give you adequate "training" time and will be more than enough to work on development. In the meantime your body will begin accepting this ritual more readily and before you know it you can shoot all day and wont feel like you even shot the next.

The reason I suggest limiting your shooting right now is so that you can practice the fundementals and proceed to get better. If you shoot to much before your body is ready for it you can (and will) develop bad habbits that will restrict you from being the top notch shooter you can be. Once you develop a bad habbit, it can be a very long and difficult thing to fix. Make absolute certain that your new gun is set up and fit to you before you get real carried away.

after several weeks of moderate shooting you could increase your firing to 150 rounds per visit. Good Luck!

J.F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.