1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot my very FIRST registered shoot....and

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

So I have been wanting to try a registered shoot and finally tried one last Sunday at Lincoln Trap and Skeet in Nebraska. It was a good experience for the most part and would recomend it to any shooter. Was a bit nervous at first (dont know why) but was. Only have 2 complaints.

1. Why do they wait until ALL shooters are done with one event before starting squads up and keep moving?

2. I have read you guys comments about distractions and thought "what a bunch of babies" BUT then a kid on our squad would take 30-45 seconds to fit his gun then another 10 seconds or so to say pull. I was getting pizzed...he completely kills any squad rythem. Are there rules for this? I guess I am to part of the "whiners club now" but I do see you guys points now.

2. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

1) Depends on the club -- at the Indiana State shoot, we shoot a 2 trap bank system. We wait until the entire line is clear between different, unlike (going from 1st 100 of 16s to 2nd 100 of 16s we don't do this) events because going from 16s to handicap, you don't want a 27 yard squad shooting next to a 16 yard squad. From singles or handicap to doubles, we need to clear the line to reset the traps.

2) No, unless it would fall under "disrupting the harmony of the shoot", which is usually reserved for really bad stuff, like cussing out a scorer.... If it disrupting squad rhythm, just don't shoot with him again.

John

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>" I guess I am to part of the "whiners club now" but I do see you guys points now."</I></blockquote>

I still don't see the point. This isn't a dance or a race. Just stand quietly and still until it's your turn to shoot, then do so. If you can't maintain some semblance of concentration for half a minute, you've picked the wrong game. If you're in a hurry to shoot and get out of the sun or rain, you'd rather be somewhere else than on the line. Meditate, watch the squad on the next trap, do something contemplative.

The more you fret and fuss over the fact that the squad rhythm (whatever that really is) has been destroyed, the more mental disruption you will inflict on yourself. And trying to maintain "the squad rhythm" can be a detriment to your shooting if you feel the need (even a subconscious responsibility) to keep pace with the others and maintain the cadence.

You'll always have someone who offers the advice to "pick another squad". I suppose if you knew the shooters' names beforehand and could ask for the names of the people on your prospective squad, you could pick another squad. But eventually, you'll end up with a notebook of names of people you don't want to shoot with and the reputation of being a pompous jerk. Don't expect the rest to play to make you happy; deal with it and move on.

MK

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

At many small shoots, considering question 1, the scorekeepers aren't backed up with lots of relief and a break between events permits potty and lunch breaks for those that need them. Also, if there's any thought of "re-adjusting" or even just checking the flight of birds from machines, that break affords the chance to do so. Then many folks aren't in a hurry to "get the day overwith" and appreciate a few minutes between events. As far as a squadmate behaving as you say, there's no specific rule for timing as you say but you certainly could pull off the squad for the next event(s) and re-squad. You certainly can remember this fellow for the next time you go to a shoot if it bothers you......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

5. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I'd agree with MK, do whatever it is you need to do to just stay relaxed until it's your turn. My squad in Colorado for US Nationals had all levels of shooters and each took a different length of time to make the call. On top of that we had numerous gun malfunctions during the rounds and "no-birds" which completely disrupted any rhythm. What are you going to do? At MN State last weekend a car alarm went off just as I started to mount my gun. All five of us took a few extra seconds, but we all got our targets before it was turned off. Kills any synch that was going on, but still gotta break'em. I guess I view each squad as unique to that group of people on that particular day. Only thing I care about is breaking my targets when they start flying.

for what it's worth. HJH

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I didnt figure there was much of a rule on that but just felt like asking. It wasnt a little delay it was an absorbant amount of time otherwise I wouldnt of mentioned it. I have shot my best scores when the squad was all in a rythem so just was wondering.

7. JTEA

JTEA Member

Like many activities, you go for the challenge and learn the refinements through experience. We all hope for a day with good weather, well set targets, a squad that clicks and some decent conversation. Sometimes everything's lined up and you still struggle, sometimes you surprise yourself in spite of a problem or two. A few get petty and lust after a piece of plastic and inflated bragging rights. Hope you enjoy yourself every time you go, that's why most of us keep returning.

Best, JT

8. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Himark,

The reason they wait for everyone to finish shooting their events is because there might be someone finishing their current event that might be on the first squad out for the next event.

Kevin

9. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

himark, I think I shot with the same kid at KCTA in Kansas City a couple of weeks ago........no, it isn't a little delay, it's more like a complete break in the shoot. I think we would have had time to go get some drinks between shots. I hope he learns some trap protocol or he will have a tough time getting a squad to shoot with in the future.

10. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Himark

If you are distracted by a "slow" shooter, then don't shoot on squads with shooters you do not know.

Find a group of shooters that you like to shoot with and squad with them when ever you shoot.

Be reminded that when you do this you are making a committment to the squad and need to be available when they attend shoots.

If you are not able to do this then concentrate on blocking out distractions.

This will come with experience.

Dr. Honk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.