1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot my first round with 12 yr old son!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

My 12 year old son started shooting for his FIRST time 3 weeks ago off a home thrower..missed first 40 targets, just couldnt find his spot. A friend of mine and fellow shooter kept coaching him a bit till he finally hit a few in a row and could find his targets. Well he shot 2 times at home and today he had his very first round of 50 at the club house. I must say I was worried that he would feel embarrast if missing but he held it together. As a proud dad I will say he hit a respectful 17/25 from 16's and 16/25 from the 20's. Made me smile and proud at same time! I guess i better stock up on re-loads because he is hooked:)

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

himark---There is no better feeling than to see your son/daughter shooting for the first time and the smile when they have their first sucsess. Congrats and better get ready to reload a lot of shells. ----Matt

3. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

AND you got a handle puller helper too!

Got my son going just a couple years ago when he finally showed some interest (due to his friends interest as well)

We have loaded shells together for some time but now there's real regualr interest in that

With him putting wads in place and watching the shot in the shells, as well as the reservoirs, we can really hustle shells. So much that my arm hurts then we trade places

He was worrind about being embarassed as well so we shot some rounds by ourselves first. Big help. No safety problems or mistakes. We also took the 4H shooting sports program together.

His disappointment is that few people would talk to him. The skeet shooting wasnt as successful but he got a lot more encouragement there. Not all clubs are the same but it is something to watch for. Look for new shooters and make them feel welcome and show some interest in them.

regards and congrats

4. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

Congrats also. Hope you and he can shoot with your grandson someday. No thanks to the morons in Washington,DC.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

You are so lucky! My daughter quit after a few months of trying.

We should all make an effort to welcome the kids that come to our clubs.

6. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

They grow up fast.
    Enjoy and God Bless

7. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

That young man needs an big ice cream cone. They usually have a ball until they reach that stage where girls seem to edge it out. But that passes. Hopefully shooting will last.

At least the memory of him shooting with you will last as long as you do.

Rock

Jim

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Do it as much as you can because before you know it this time will be gone. I don't know where it goes but it just flies by.

I wish my grandsons lived closer so I could do it all over again.

Don

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Himark -

I know the feeling. My 13 year old has suddenly expressed an interest in heading to the gun club with dad to shoot trap. Does not want to shoot with the SCTP/AIM kids on Tuesdays but with me and my friends on Wednesdays. Wellll.. last tuesday, we shot together for the first time on the same line. After working with him as a spotter from behind and feeling comfortable with his knowledge of safety and trap etiquette, I figured it was time. He tied me with a 21 from 16 yards. I was having an off night but you could not wipe the grin off of his face. Great feeling.

Jeff

10. nords

nords Member

Himark enjoy the great times and memories. Before you know it they will be off to college and want nothing to do with it! It was some of the best and most proud memories of my life with my son.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Your a lucky man.

12. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Thanks guys..

I do feel very lucky. Trap shooting just could be the personality changer this kid needs. If you knew him he is always the responsible one and very quiet never the one to make waves to get what he wants but yesterday. He went out of his way to go to the high school office, find the trap coach's cell # then called me at work and said..."you need to call this guy because I want to do this next spring" I was a bit floored. I am glad he likes shooting so much he took the initiative, its just what he needed.

13. missemucho

missemucho Member

I shot last year's Summer Handicap at Linn Creek with my grandson! That's thrill that will stay with me as long as I'm around! I know he remembers it fondly; he keeps trying to talk me out of the 1100 trap he used! Unfortunately he lives 1500 miles away.
    John

14. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

I don't have any boys but I love to shoot with my Nephew. I get a big smile everytime he smokes one. He comes over to my house often to see how "our" guns are doing!

Doug Allison

15. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

those are damn good scores for his first 50!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.