1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot My First DTL This Weekend - New Pics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I participated in the "Gauteng North Standard Champonships" this weekend. Its South Africa's version of a State Shoot (Gauteng is one of the 9 provinces in South Africa, generally equivalent to our "States.") The main difference between this and an ATA State shoot being that several disciplines are shot, not just ATA. The events include ATA singles, ATA doubles, DTL, Olympic Trap, Olympic Doubles, NSSA Skeet, NSSA Skeet Doubles, and Olympic Skeet.

After I got done with my 100 ATA targets Saturday morning, they then shot DTL, then ATA doubles (sadly, they do not shoot ATA handicap over here.)

I had not originally planned on shooting DTL, but rather than sit on my brains for 2-3 hours waiting to shoot doubles, I decided to enter the DTL event.

It was a good idea. Fun game. Change the unsingle barrel out to the double barrel set, and get a couple extra boxes of shells, and go shoot.

Basically, they set the machine to 3-hole targets, set the speed a little higher so the targets go 55 meters (about 60 yards) check the height, and off you go.

Here, the game is shot exactly like ATA, in that there are 5 people to a squad, and you shoot 5 targets at each station before moving.

Three points for a first shot kill, two points for a second shot and zero for a lost target.

A perfect score is 25/75 for a round, and 100/300 for the event. The first number is the number of dead targets, the second number is the number of points.

I shot a 275 on Saturday, then did it again on Sunday and shot another 275. Seems as though 275 is a "so-so" score. Not horrible, but not great. I'm OK with that.

I had a number of instances where I forgot I had a second shot, so I was late getting it off. After that I tried to shoot a few "chips" to get a little practice at the second shot. Seemed to help remind me that I could shoot again.

I did have two "25/75" rounds, so my squadmates insisted that since this was my first DTL shoot, it was absolutely necessary to shoot my hat. Luckily, I had time to hide my good hat, and a friend lent me a hat he didn't care about.

Kind of a neat game. Sure reminds you that follow-through is important!

BTW, I may have mentioned that its expensive to shoot over here?? The entry fee for a 100 target event is 310 Rand, or about US $40.

I was surprised to see 3 guys shooting Precision-Fit stocks, and even one guy shooting a release trigger, which is almost unheard of over here (he's been to the Grand several times.) Heckuva shooter. He shot the best ATA score of the day at 98.

Best part about this, is the guys over here have really "accepted" me into their shooting community and insist that now that I've joined their organization, I am an honorary South African. It was a great weekend (despite the fact that my scores were in the tank.)

Tim

2. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Welcome to our DTL world my friend!!!

You will get used to that second barrel thats for sure! I'm sure you will enjoy it once you get a little more opportunity to shoot it.

First step is to make sure you shoot all the targets, the 2 points for the second shot come in a lot handier than the zero at the end of the day!

My pb is 299, haven't got a 300 yet, but never is a long time.

For your info, Bill Iles from Aus won a 300 target point score world championship with an 899/900, just missed one first barrel in 3 days!

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hey Dan. 299 is a heckuva good score. Yeah, I had more zeros than I care to admit.

Here are a couple of pics from the club.
    timb99_2008_030353.jpg

timb99_2008_030354.jpg

timb99_2008_030355.jpg

timb99_2008_030356.jpg

timb99_2008_030357.jpg

4. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is this a great site or what??? I really enjoy reading the posts from "the other side". Also thanks for the pics. If any of you ever get to the Grand American in Sparta, Illinois (or anywhere in the USA) I'd love to share an adult beverage with you guys and get a chance to swap shooting stories. Keep posting pics and stories about your shooting experiences over there and we'll do the same. By the way, loved the shot of the gun rack.

Score early, score often.

Dave

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

A few more pics. Award ceremony...I got third place in ATA doubles...don't ask my score. Proudly wearing my Powder Creek Shooting Park (Lenexa, KS) t-shirt. The young lady giving out the trophies is Diane Swanton, who represented South Africa in Olympic Trap at the Beijing Olympics in 2008:
    timb99_2008_030358.jpg

The ceremonial hat shoot, following my first 25/75 in DTL competition.

timb99_2008_030359.jpg

The results of the hat shoot. Glad they didn't get ahold of my favorite hat!

timb99_2008_030360.jpg

timb99_2008_030361.jpg

6. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Great tradition! Hope it wasnt an expensive hat!

Great looking photos, looks like a lot of fun.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Looks as though you had a blast. A smile at the end of competition is always a good thing.

Had several flocks of chickens around this year. Didn't get many as I was usually by myself and of course they were consistently out of range. Could have sure used a partner.

8. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

That hat is now worth keeping along with the pictures of a time you will never forget. Thanks for the pictures we will be watching for more.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Martin,

I'll take you up on that some day. Never shot a chicken before!

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Do you have the terrible political unrest we see on the TV news in your neck of the woods?

11. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Looking at all the different events to shoot, that looks like some serious fun! HJH

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Barry,

No, South Africa is politically pretty stable.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Although the neighbors to our north, Zimbabwe, may have the "last dictator standing."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.