1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot my first continental

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Now that was fun. Been shooting trap about six months now and just shot my first round of continental. I didn't score my first round but did shoot a 21 the second time. Don't know enough about the game to know if that is good, bad or don't ever bother doing this again. But I did have a great time.

I pretty well sucked at picking things up with the second shot (probably about 50%).
    Basically I set up and did everything I would normally do for a regular trap game. Are there any tricks (differences) I should be aware of?
    I plan to shoot this again.

Thanks
    Chuck

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

This may be a stupid question, but what's Continental?

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

"Continental" is like Bunker. It was meant to 'simulate' bunker trap. You shoot it much the same way. Hold the gun on the house not high like ATA. Get your vision out in front of the house. Its a great game to play if you don't have a real bunker.

TB

4. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Good? 21 is excellent for starting out. I shot quite a few 18-19's before I started catching on. My advice would be, hold a lower gun, with your muzzle down on the traphouse lid. You need to be under all birds to hit them, and when you get a screaming low straightaway with a gust of wind from behind, it's really easy to find your muzzle covering the bird, really hard to hit. The lower hold helps you generate more muzzle speed, too. Also, watch your foot placement on stations 1 & 5, be sure you'll be able to swing smoothly to those low hard angle birds, & follow through fully. I shoot right-handed, and I'll occasionally miss a low hard right from #5 by not swinging fast enough. If you miss second shots, you're probably lifting your cheek to take a peek. Practice shooting a second shot on the largest piece of all birds you hit. This will start training you to keep your cheek in the stock. When you miss firsts due to sloppiness, but always connect on seconds, you know you stayed solidly in the gun, which is a great feeling. Your goal should be hitting over 80% on the first shot, and a good drill is to load only one shell, or shoot a single gun. That makes you try harder! Welcome to a great game! Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.