1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot my best .410 score ever....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jeff P, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

97 in the .410 today in Anchorage to win the event...ran the first box, third box and fourth box for my first registered 50 straight with the .410.

And I'm telling EVERYBODY.

It was a damn lot of fun....and yes, all the local trapshooters are telling me that maybe I'm really a skeet shooter.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Congrats there Jeff!!! Keep up the good shooting. But what do the skeet shooters have to say about your Shooting. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

3. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

good shootin' with the 410!

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

That is very impressive. I've tried a 410 once and it was hard to get 5 straight. Tell us more about how you've developed this effort.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Good shooting. My best is a 96 which I shot last year. I'll tell you like I've been told, that 100 is coming. LOL At 64 yrs old I better get it soon or may never happen. Jackie B.

6. DUCKDIGGLER

DUCKDIGGLER TS Member

Great shooting my man! 97 is some serious shooting! Congrats!

I know the feeling.....I shoot low gun and shot my first 25 with a BPS .410 pump last week!! My 8th box of shells ever through a .410....I am still stoked! I know it's not a huge feat but it was for me!

7. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Who the f cares?! Tom Rhoads

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Nice attitude, Tom...chill! :eek:( Best Regards, Ed

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nice shoot'n Jeff. I would be excited too. You brag all you want.

Tom--Why so hateful??

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

And I was happy hitting 16!

Took No. 8s; 9's were a dud.

What did you do that helped you (besides shoot well)

congrats again

Club guys laughed when I used a 28 Ga.

They werent laughing when I finished; shot a 23/25

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Jeff...the skeet shooters have been uniformally supporting of me. Kinda funny...I had a great (for me) state skeet shoot, and during that shoot they stopped regarding me as the "special olympic" type skeet shooter and started looking at me as someone who could beat them if they weren't careful. Which is pretty high praise for a guy with less than 3,000 registered skeet birds, lifetime.

Joe...I took Shima's clinic when he was in Alaska last year. It took about 5 months for it to kinda sink in, and now skeet seems, if not easy, less hard at least. The other thing I did was to stop having any sort of expectation of winning (since i never did) and just focus on each target. Seems simple enough, but I sure can't do it at trap. Maybe its easier because when i step on the pad, I can focus for the 2 / 4 shots I need to take, and then I step off the pad and relax. Trap, it seems like you're always ON, since the game moves right along. If its not your turn, your turn is coming soon.

12. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

"Trap, it seems like you're always ON, since the game moves right along. If its not your turn, your turn is coming soon. "

Well said. That pretty much sums up the difference between trap and most other shotgun events.

bluedsteel

13. 100straight

100straight Member

Congrats Jeff. I was in the hospital in Anchorage during both those State shoots. Just now getting to where I'm feeling a little better. Otherwise I would have tried to be some competition for you. lol.

Mark.

14. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

were you shooting 23/4" or 3" shells??

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

High Praise indeed Jeff!!! Best of Luck with all 4 guns before winter hits you up there. By the way when does winter hit up there??? I think maybe that first 100 is just around the corner if you don't try to hard to get it. Just keep having fun!!! Sounds like your blessed with a nice group of trap and skeet shooters up there, but have you tried Sporting Clays yet??? LOL. Break-em all Jeff

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

8's or 9's??

Curt

17. bling 27

bling 27 Member

One year I shot nothing but sporting clays with a 410 Citori skeet gun. We would shoot on the weekends at different courses. For those who have shot at Elk Creek in KY we would shoot the woods course. My friend would use a Winchester model 42. I would break in the 70's out of 100 targets and my friend managed to shoot in the 80's a few times. I always used 1/2 oz. of 8 1/2's at 1300 fps. It isn't a 12ga.,but a lot of fun on targets that are 30-35yds and closer. Break 'em all, Wayne

18. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I broke a 19 in one round with my 42 with Imp Cyl and #9 skeet loads & thought I had really done something. Your score is SMOKIN!

Congrats!

19. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Winter hits about next week, if we're not careful....its already getting into the 40s at night. we had a beautiful day today, might have hit 60 or 62. And it was sunny.

There's about 6 or 7 shooters at the club that shoot both games seriously. There's really not a lot of ribbing between the two groups - except right now, I'm getting it from both sides. I was the Alaska ATA president for 4 years and here I am shooting better skeet than I am trap.

2 3/4 inches worth of 9's, reloads....and anyone that can do it with a pump has my undying admiration. I have a buddy who has a bolt action .410, and we tried to shoot pairs with it...but the throw on the bolt was too long, and you had to take it all the way down and shoot the second one basically from the hip.

I have to go scrounge some more 9s...I'm out of them, as I stare at half a ton of 8s. I looked in the book today, thinking I could load some 20s and 28s with 8s, but the change is pellet count is HUGE - almost a third more if you shoot 9s.

20. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Hard magnum 9's or chilled?

I had soft chilled and it was UGLY !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.