1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot making Question ????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Mc, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Does anybody know of a brand of Hydraulic Oil that is water soluble -- and a source for it -- preferably one of the local type stores where it can be purchased -- Thanks for any help -- Doug

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I know of water miscible (not truly water soluble) cutting oil that is sometimes used to make shot but I know of no hydraulic oils that will mix with water.

Pat Ireland

3. Lither

Lither TS Member

use dot-3 brake fluid. it washes off rather easily and makes wonderfull shot. Also, my dogs don't want to drnk it like some of the antifreze options you hear about.

the brake fluid works well for me, just my opinion.

4. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Thanks for the reply on the Brake fluid -- I have talked with people who use it -- a friend has tried both and he preferred the Hyd. oil -- I guess everyone has a different opinion -- can you buy Brake fluid in large quanities ? -- 1 Gal./5 gal. containers ? -- Thanks again for the help -- Doug

5. Lither

Lither TS Member

I buy brake fluid at NAPA ( our local auto parts chain) for 12.00 gallon. 60.00 bucks filled my resevoir, and I have to add about a quart for every 250# run or so. adds to the expense, but then again making shot isn't really about saving money in the short term.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

lither- I like your attitude and would add, making shot is really not about saving money in the long run. But, it is fun.

Pat Ireland

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Pat, I'll have to disagree, I have a lot of free time and making shot does save me a lot of money. It is fun too. I'm more than willing to put in several hours over a couple of days to make 1500 lbs of shot, Esp at current shot prices.

Jim, Retired and poor.

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Metsafe FR 320 Hydraulic oil(Water Soluble) I believe is Chevron.

Mobil is Metsafe 122

Shell is Metsafe FR200

The military Spec. # of Metsafe FR200: 0-8-548A Type H. Your local oil dealer can use this Spec # to match up with a comparable solution.

I have used the water soluble hydraulic solution as Littleton recommended. It makes good shot but there are other things that do as well and do not cost as much and not as messy.

Ajax

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- Estimate the time involved getting the wheel weights, making the ingots and the shot. Then, cleaning up the mess and hauling off the steel and dross from the weights. Next, the cost of other materials and equipment used to make the shot.

Next, consider how much money you could make working part time at a local gas station. It might be possible that you come out ahead making shot, or you might not. I am not retired and my office is in my home. When I made shot, I was not working. Four years ago, when I quit making shot, I estimated that it cost me a little over $80 in lost working time to make a bag of shot. I do miss the fun of making shot. My wife does not miss the smell and mess of my shot making fun.

Pat Ireland

10. snarepeg

snarepeg TS Member

pat.

that last sentence says it all. thats why i have taken mine up to the farm. less flak. snarepeg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.