1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot making question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tatersaled, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

I recently started having problems with my shot maker drippers, and I’m wondering if melting down the stick on wheel weights is the cause of this.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem with the stick on wheel weights?
    Thanks Erwin

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

you solved your own problem, stick on weights are zinc so stay away from them

bill

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

You will also want to avoid the big truck wheel weights. They contain babbit which will also slow or stop your drippers. Hope this helps, Josh.

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

When the drippers "slow down" try two things. 1) tap the top of the ladle above the drippers, this should speed things up. 2) Fan the drippers with an instant on propane torch, sometimes the lip or drippers need a little extra heat.

5. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

NOT all stick on ww's are zinc. An easy test for the dreaded zinc wt's is to use a diagonal sidecutter on the wt's. Simply use moderate pressure when you test the wt's. If they are lead the cutter will easily mark it. If they are zinc they are so HARD you will barely leave a mark.

Even a small amount of zinc will really screw up your alloy. Zinc melts at a HIGHER temp than the ingredients of ww's. When I melt my bullet alloy I use just enough heat to melt the WW's. Any zinc wt's that got by my squeeze test will FLOAT on top of the mix for quite some time and are easily removed....as long as your heat is fairly low.

FN in MT

6. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

Thanks for all of the info. I’ve got two 55 gallon drums of wheel weights to sort.

7. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I melted down some wheel weights Saturday, and a had a copper color on the surface, and the ingots had a blueish rainbow color on bottom surface of the ingot. I skimmed the the copper color off a couple of times. Is this Babbitt? 10tenner

8. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

So babbitt and zinc mix with lead when melted, but will it float to the top under high heat?

9. scott k

scott k TS Member

fn in mt has it right. when you see blue, gold, colers your lead is too hot. turn your heat down.

later scott

10. 686

686 TS Member

2 55 GAL TO SORT. I FEEL FOR YOU. SEND MR 1 I CAN HELP.

11. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Scott K, that is along the lines of my thoughts. I run two pots at a time and was doing some sorting, and got behind, and new I had gotten the lead to hot, but was not sure if I had Babbit, and I was not using truck tire weights. I admit on my learning curve a couple of years ago I made a batch of ingots with to many stick on weights, and using 8 1/2 drippers was a chore in it's self. 10Tenner

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Hmmm. Isn't Babbitt just lead tin and antimony in different proportions than wheel weights? By the way Zinc wheel weights have the letters ZN on them. That is the symbol from the periodic table for ZINC!! For peats sake look at your wheel weights before you commit them to the melting pot!! Bill

13. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Bill, babbit is an actual "ingredient" that they put in big truck weights. I can't remember exactly why, but someone has posted the reason before. About the zinc weights...how much lead have you melted? Do you know how far behind I would get if I checked every single weight to see if it said "ZN" on it? When we sort weights, we simply pick up hand fulls, pull out any garbage, strip weights, truck weights and valve stems and throw the rest into a bucket. It would take us hours to sort a bucket if we looked at every one. I've seen many zinc weights that didn't have that "ZN" on them either, we just find them when they don't melt like the rest. Josh

14. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I separate ALL stick on weights - (three piles - 'good' weights // stick on & truck weights // everything else) it's much quicker and I have a second crucible that I use with these - they go into sinker making molds...

Sinker molds are much less fussy about the 'lead' used, and I save a ton of time in melting/fluxing because I only use the 'best' lead for shot.

16. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

too soft,too soft,strait ww will run run run,mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.