1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot making question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tatersaled, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

I currently drop my homemade shot into a water-soluble oil, but I’d like to change over to something like laundry detergent. What type of detergent seems to work the best?

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

The cheap stuff from the dollar store. I think the brand name is sun. If you use a circulating pump and cooler you won't like it or any other soap.

Jim

3. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

Jim,
    Do you dilute the soap with water or leave it straight?
    Erwin

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I used it straight, once. You won't believe how much foam it makes when you run it thru a centrifugal pump. I use low tox anti-freeze, I have a continous run system with a cooler.

Jim

5. model12x

model12x TS Member

Shot making with soap is the best.Been making shot for 25 years and this is the best formula that i have used.
    In canada i buy from costco sunlight liguid dish soap in the 6 liter container.
    Mix it 4 parts soap, i part water, and with a hydometer(used for making wine) i want the tube to float at .049-,052 at 60f.
    No worries about getting to hot,infact it makes better shot when it is warmed up, Very little foam, then after about an hour and thirty, drain, rince, dry and poslish.

Good luck

Gb

6. model12x

model12x TS Member

The last word should be polish tumble,grahpite.

Gb

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Same as Jim for me. Been making shot for the past 2 years and have had good luck with low tox antifreeze with just a little bit of detergent added to it. Running everything through a circulating pump. <BR><BR>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    Josh

8. Jimmy E

Jimmy E TS Member

Is that a shot making outfit or a meth lab? LOL!
    Jimmy E

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Here's why soap didn't work for me. Soap doesn't do well with pumps and agitation. Poor quality video, but you get the idea. Jim

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Shot%20Maker/shotvids1.flv">

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Meth lab? You should see our set up for melting wheel weights into ingots. We're surprised the neighbors haven't gotten suspicious of the 2 guys with respirators on standing over a pot with a flame under it...But then again, we know the sheriff and a couple of the deputies in our county, so they wouldn't be too concerned. LOL, Josh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.