1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot making Question??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ljutic78s, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

My buddies shotmaker is letting 2 pieces of shot stick together,he can break them apart with his fingers,he is using cutting oil,could this oil be wearing out? or getting to hot? This just started happening,anybody have any advice?? Thanks John

2. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

He runs 100lbs.and finds maybe 5oz.of shot stuck together,he does not use a thermometer,just lets it run till it runs empty,was working great till now. John

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

The molten spheres are coming into contact before they cool. This can happen on the ramp if the lead is too hot (comes out too fast) or in the very upper part of the coolant if the coolant is too hot.

Pat Ireland

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

molten spheres? WOW I need to get an engineers degree to make shot. Pat you made my day

5. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

Sound like the pellets are sticking together on the drip lip before it falls off into the oil. If you put bee’s wax on the lip while it’s hot the pellets will bounce off the lip like its on glass.

6. Sitsinhedges

Sitsinhedges TS Member

The coolant is getting too hot and the shot are not solidifying before they contact each other in the bottom of the tank. The answer is more coolant or stop production until it cools enough to carry on. I have had lead stalagtites form from hundreds of lead pancakes that build up and eventually come thru the surface of the coolant because it was too hot.

Cheers
    Andy(UK)

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Andy- I fully understand what you described. Adding more lead to the pan can also cool down the lead and reduce the drip rate. With a little practice, the sound the shot makes as it falls into the coolant can indicate if things are good or bad.

Pat Ireland

8. square shot 12

square shot 12 TS Member

What coolant is anyone using? Antifreeze I've heard is the best but is there a kind thats not toxic? I've used oil and diesel and better results with the diesel, but the smell and cleaning of it are really hard. And in the winter its really hard to get the lead to flow good unless the room is really warm.. Thanks Linn

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

TTT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.