1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot making problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kalina, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

I need to find a good way to dry shot after washing. I have been spreading it on window screen and allowing it to air dry. If anyone has a better idea I would appreciate the help as I am tired of waiting a couple of days to use it.

Luke Kalina

2. c rucks

c rucks TS Member

Try drying it on a bare piece of plywood that is boxed in to keep the shot in place. It works for me.

3. doggai

doggai Member

Raise the screen up off the floor, put the shot on the screen and direct a fan to blow air over and under it. About 30 minutes should do it. Or, if the sun ever shines in your neighborhood, set it out in the sun raised up off the ground. About an hour would do it. You may have to move the shot around to get it all dried quickly. It's what I do.

Another speed up method is to lay a sheet of fiberglass mosquito netting on the screen and the put the shot on the netting. The heat of the sun will work on the netting and get all sides dry. JF

4. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use Aluminum, Steel, or Stainless Steel baking pans, 1/4 to 3/8 inches deep of shot in them and set them on a concrete driveway in the sun. The shot will get so warm that you won't want to stir it with your bare hand. In the winter I have racks under my shop furnace to place the same pans. I have also used a food warmer with a lot of shot in the pan and covered with a towel, takes longer but it does the job.

5. 8fishermen

8fishermen TS Member

I saw a neat setup for drying shot the other day. It was a rectangle box with a air mover fan on one end. The top was open with a layer of heavy wire to support the weight of the shot. Hardware cloth was on top of the heavy wire to support the screen which in turn held the shot. The fan forced air into the box and up through the screen and shot cutting down on the dry time considerably. Hope this helps.

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I tumble mine in a small cement mixer and use a Propane weed burner to dry. It does 125 pounds in about 10 minutes. I sort it from there and then it goes to the mortar mixer for graphite.

Many ways to make and handle shot.

Ajax

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

We lay ours out on old towels we buy at the Salvation Army store for a dollar or two. Buy the largest ones with the smallest nap you can find. Spread the shot as thin as you can over the entire surface of the towels. We put a good quality blower at the end of the first towel and turn it on. Can do about 300 pounds at a time this way.

Jeff

8. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

I dump it in the cement mixer for a hour and it is dry ... then I add the Graphite ... let it tumble for a few more minutes ... and it's ready to fill empty hulls

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I saw a box that had a squirrel cage fan at one and screening on top. You put your shot on the screen and turn the fan on. The air then is pushed up through the screen to dry the shot. The other end was closed. I'm going to try to build one and see how it works.

10. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I just started to do this and it works great if you have a black top drive way.
    I went to lawn sale bought 2 bed sheets and laid them on the hot black top drive way, put my rinsed shot on it for 2 hours, folded the sheet with 1 end in a 5 gallon pail(easier with a helper) and boom 150pounds done in 2 hours which took all week to do in old cake pans in the furnace room.

Jerry Lewis