1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot making machines

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Snowjet, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowjet

Snowjet Member

would like some info on shot making machines

2. superump

superump TS Member

I have just started researching these. So far the two I have found are the littleton shot maker and the stewart best shot maker. I like both but leaning towards the stewart best shot maker with the double pot. There is a lot of videos on you tube showing these in operation. Lot of trial and error in learning how to make perfect shot but what the heck if you get a bad batch just melt it down and start over. The secret I think is finding the scrap lead. When I get a ton or so rounded up I will buy one of the shot makers.

3. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Make sure you have a good supply of lead before you invest in a shot maker. My lead supply dried up and i sold my setup.Joe

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The Better Shot Maker to me is the better of them all. Do get the 220 volt and the double dippers.

www.thebettershotmaker.com

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If you do a search on past postings on this talk board you will find a wealth of information posted on the subject.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's an art. It requires a learning curve, the right weather, and a lot of MOJO working for you. You think I'm kidding? You'll find out.....

7. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I received my first batch of shot from Jim (shot410ga)today and he definately has his MOJO working. This stuff looks GREAT. He made it from a batch of old diving belt lead weights I bought. Only wish I had more.

Doc

8. JWS

JWS Member

AUCTIONEER: thanks for the plug for my web page but the URL ends in .org now since I had to change it.

If you can grease a wheel barrel you can make shot. My machine is not a toy to play with. If you are serious about making your own shot then give me a call at 256-587-0107 and we can discuss your needs. I don't just sell my machine I want you to meet your needs.

James Stewart-shotmaker

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Knew a guy who used to make shot. He bragged about how cheap it was.

One day we sat down and factored in his time, fuel etc. running around gathering and processing wheel weights and lead for material and his shot turned out to cost at least double what he could buy the best shot for.

MK

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

MK

Factoring in time is not appropriate unless someone is prepared to work those hours at a "real job". Saving $10/hr hour is roughly equivalent to earning $15/hr.

I would rather crank out reloads on a MEC JR and save $1.50-$2.50/box than work as a Walmart greeter or McDonald's to pay for factory shells. My "incentive" is even greater with the Spolar or PW as they produce about 20 boxes/hr.

Realistically though, I agree that making shot is not nearly as cost effective as people think unless they have a supply of good metal at a good price.

Don Verna

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Considering the fact that I'm retired, and hourly a wage is no consideration. Making shot and reloading shells, kind of keeps me a little busy. So the time factor is no issue.

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Been making it for 15 plus years on a Littelton.. I dont really do it for the cost savings.. Its just another hobby.. my shells cost me 1.71 per box.. i dont figure in my time rounding up the wheel weights..

13. Snowjet

Snowjet Member

I appreciate all the come backs and info, I thought this would be good for me to have something to. I don't hunt any more, and I only shoot a couple rounds a week. Mainly to a painful shoulder. I'll look into getting lead, before I buy. This really is a great site!
    Thanks

14. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

My rule of thumb when telling people who ask me about making my own shot is this: Do you change the oil in your vehicle, and do you enjoy the satisfaction when you do? If you answer no to either question, I tell them they're better off buying shot. Making shot is time consuming, and requires attention. I personally love the satisfaction of seeing my Stewart machine running double drippers so fast that I can barely see the shot hitting the lip... It looks like a blur when it's running just right. Be prepared to spend 3 to 4 hours per session; once the machine is up to temp and running, it's best to let it run as long as you can hang. I like making shot. I have a pretty good supply of lead, and I get quite a bit of satisfaction breaking targets with my own shot. It's sort of like catching a fish on a lure I've made myself. Making shot is a great way to save money if you like to tinker, but it's not for everyone. I would strongly recommend Mr. Stewart's machine. It's well made and he's always available for answering questions and customer service. Good luck.

15. Snowjet

Snowjet Member

Hello Tallpaul, as matter of fact, I do change my oil in three vehicles. Sometimes it takes me as long as 2 hrs. I'm retired, so 2 hrs on a sunny afternoon is no problem. I'm looking into the lead, if I can stock pile 600 to 700 lbs, then I'll call Mr. Stewart.

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

6-700 lbs is a drop in the bucket. Having a good reliable source for lead is the most important consideration to buying a shotmaker.

I try to have 2000 lb cushion and look for lead at every opportunity. I currently have about 3800 lbs ready to run.

Jim

17. himark

himark Well-Known Member

3800 NICE....I have maybe close to 3k but not quite. And you are right you have to scrimp everywhere to get the lead. I have been alot of trading to accumulate a supply and has worked well. But lately I am seeing alot less yield and am going to reconsider the split on the trade.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Everything about collecting lead, smelting, making ingots and making shot involved heavy "work". If you have a bad shoulder it may make it worse. If it is so bad you can only shoot two rounds a week, you need to re-think this.

Two rounds a week is less than 3000 rounds a year. That is 8 bags of shot a year.

Based on the information you shared how are you justifying this? Even if you save $15/bag it will take you over five years to break even.

Don Verna

19. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

I have melted close to 4800 lbs of lead so far this fall and winter, made close to 300 lbs of #9's a week ago, and have made alittle over 1000 lbs of 7 1/2, 8's will be next when time is available , Chuck

20. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I too am looking into the shot makin adventure. I gathered 500pds so far(made ingotsout of them),but I also have a local scrap yard that will sell it to me at $.50 a pound for wheel weights.

I have done a lot of thinking and came to the conclusion, if I stock pile up what I have now, get more lead to melt stocked up and get the machine. I can then melt and clean the lead while the shot maker goes at it, then either go straight from the pot to the machine or make the ingots and use them warm, and cut my heat melt time.

Jerry Lewis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.