1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOT MAKING HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goosecall, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I had not made shot in two months, and my last batch turned out great 8 1/2 drippers. I had 130 lbs of ingots to make lead, and there was quite a few lead weights that had the small squares with the wax paper backing. The run started out great from the old lead in the ladle; then things slowed down, and ever 5 minutes I had to use Jim Stewarts flushing tool. I Never did get a good run, and never finished the 130 lbs of ingots. My shot is from 1.2grs - to 1.4grs 7 1/2 to 7's comparing with West Coast shot, I was using 8 1/2 drippers. I need advice from those who have made allot more shot than me, is there any other reason for the slow down of the drippers, and larger shot, than some bad alloy? My lead level in the ladle was not to high, made that mistake on my first batches. 10Tenner

2. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

10 tenner,ive had similar problems,found out i was putting too mutch lead in the ladel,in my stewart shot maker i will have a bare spot in back of the ladel about a inch accross the top of the pan,and keeping the drippers coverd 1 /8th to 1/4 inch,to get these results i had to raise the back of the shot maker up,marn

3. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I personally had experience with the drip slowing down if I use to much pure lead (no matter how full I have the ladel and I always keep it to the max. When I have a problem with it slowing down I add a bit of tin to my mix. I want my lead to drop test at 6.39% about then same if not a tinge more than magnum

4. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

You have 2 different possibilities -- too much lead in your ladle lowering the temp. of the lead -- but what I think is the problem is your different lead from your original batch -- the best lead is from small car weights -- the big truck weights and the strips you mentioned are loaded with Babbit -- which is an alloy with tin and copper -- did you notice a copper shiny skim on the lead in the ladle ? -- Babbit causes the lead to stick to the steel and not flow -- if this is the case you will need to clean your Drippers -- you can use this "bad" lead -- but you need to dilute it with "good" lead -- you will need to remelt it and mix it back in with "good" lead -- add it at about 20% bad to the good -- just one of the things I ran into and I am sure we are not the only ones out there that have experienced the same thing -- big truck weights and these strips look like gold mines -- but there not -- hope this helps -- Doug

5. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

After drying my lead I noticed that it was very shiny, and in the direct sunlight it was very reflective. I have never seen this before with my other batches. I do know about the 3/4 to 1 inch open surface on the back of the ladle. I suspect it was those strips of wheel weights, and I found two or three wheel weights that did not melt, and one had partially melted, and I quickly discarded those wheel weights. plinker61, what was the distance that you raised the back of your shot maker? 10Tenner

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

10Tenner the real shiny means it is almost pure lead it does slow down and when that happens the size of shot increase get pure wheel weight and mix in i take a pair plyers and stir the mix with an ingot as it melts will mix up what is in pan one other thing if the lead tend to stick to the dripper cleaner then it will stick to the drippers when melt lead to use i check the mix to see if it wants to stick to the ladle or spoon or the cleaner tool some of these new tiny weights that is comeing in from over seas must have a lot of babbit and no arsnic i had a 5gal bucket i got that had a lot of the small ones and it stuck to every thing even a cast iron ladel got it to work but had to add about 80 pc lead to it if it is not a problem pick those little ones out if you are buying them you paying for mostly steel anyway hope that helps some ricks1

7. scott k

scott k TS Member

rub chauk on the bottom of the drippers till thay stop, then tap the pot to get them started again. won't stick to the drippers. workes every time.

later scott

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Mine does this sometimes and is related to low heat, too much lead, new batch, whatever. I keep an instant on propane torch nearby to fan the dippers with, fixes it everytime.

9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

ricks1, that is what my father told me when he saw how shiny the lead was. Those little square weights I could make a cut with my finger nail, and thought they were a softer lead. Next time I will have to separate. scott k, that is a good idea, I discovered that if a dripper is not tight enough, and leaking lead, take the chalk and rub it on the gap between the dripper, and ladle and it will fill the gap. 10Tenner

10. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I did over 100 lbs this morning using the 7 1/2 dripper and my brothers lead inguts, to bad the shot is going to him... the shot turned out great. A tip from another shot maker, I used some Midayway mold drop out on the lip, and best I have ran with very little lead sticking. 10tenner

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

next time you clean the ladel spray the whole thing with the mold drop out dont get inside the drippers unless you have compressed air to blow them clear rick

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Rick, How often do you have reapply the mold dropout for optimum performance?

Jim

13. 686

686 TS Member

HOW CAN YOU TELL IF LEAD IS BABBIT OR IF YOUR LEAD HAS BABBIT IN IT?

14. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

When Babbit Lead is melted you will see Copper/Gold colored skim on the surface -- regular Lead will just have the normal silver color -- easiest way for the average guy to tell -- after the Lead solidifies it will have the same Copper/Gold color variegation -- don't ask me why it doesn't look that way before you melt it -- I don't have a clue -- maybe a Metallurgist out there can explain it -- Doug

15. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I asked a guy at the club about those small square lead weights, he did say they are softer lead, and to use 1 to 4 ratio. He has a tire shop and laughed when I told him about my bad batch of lead, he told me to bite the lead with my teeth to see how soft it was, I just laughed. I ran another 100 lbs today with some other lead and no problems. ricks1 I will have to give that a try and spray the entire ladle, and I did spry the threads on the drippers and inside of nuts, and what I noticed is that no leaks around the dippers, the drop out must create a seal. 10tenner

16. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

jim i spray the lip every time i start a new run i just clean it with a small brass brush and spray it each time nt that it needs it just do it and dont have any problem 686 if the lead has babit or much of it it will stick to the ladel or any thing metal pure lead will go through a shot maker but my experence has been that it make larger shot and not as round i took mine apart today and gave it a cleaning got a BAD batch and made a mess of things watch the little wheel weights that are off imports it must be pure babbit had a bucket that a guy give me and it was full of the little ones rick

17. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.