1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***Shot Making Help Please***

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skip, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

First go at it today, results, not the best looking shot.

The coolant is non toxic anti-freeze heated and cooled to maintain 100 degrees plus or minus 10 degrees.

The lead was flowing ok from the drippers but the shot was hollow and looked like popcorn.

What I'm not sure of is what the distance should be to the coolant, right now it's about 3.5 inches.

Any suggestions on this distance please.

2. Coldsteel

Coldsteel TS Member

It has to be whithin 1/4"

3. skip

skip Member

Thought so, thanks shot-steel!

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Skip, Get the drop to the coolant 1/4 inch or a little less. If you still have a bit of pin hole problem add a little liquid soap to the low-tox antifreeze.

Jim

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Good question Ajax, I just assumed he was using automotive lo-Tox antifreeze.

Jim

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I'm just waiting for a few of days with decent weather. I've got 1800 lbs of ingots ready to go.

Jim

7. skip

skip Member

Thanks everyone, my mistake. I'm using Prestone RV antifreeze, not sure why I called it non-toxic probably because it can be used in the drinking water tanks of boats and RV's. Anyone ever try it?

I re-read the label and nowhere does it state non-toxic.

I was dropping about three (3) inches to the coolant due to the way I set up the hot plate inside an old parts washer.

I'll re-do the hot plate setup so it's close to a 1/4" drop to the coolant and try again this weekend.

I also found it was difficult for the hot plate to get much over 540-560 degrees/f. Ocassionally I had to hit the drippers with a propane torch to free them up.

What temperature do you guy's set the hot plate to?

Thanks again .........

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Skip, The RV antifreeze doesn't work well at all. Get some of the prestone low-tox for use in automotive cooling systems.

The drippers are very sensative to breezes. It takes very little breeze to cool them down.

The shotmakers work better if ambient temp is at 60 degrees and above.

Putting too much cold lead in the ladle will cool the unit down also, Always preheat the ingots before adding to the ladle.

Jim

9. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Prestone Low-Tox works great -- mix 16 Oz. of liquid laundry detergent to 6 Gals. of Anti-freeze -- keep your shot drop as close as possible -- 1/4 inch as the others suggested is good -- keep your ingots as far bad as possible in your ladle when you place them -- this helps to keep your temp up at your drippers -- also preheat your ingots if possible -- you should have good results with this setup

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Me too Jack. I hate making ingots, But the rest of the process is kind of fun.
    I still have over 1500 lbs to clean up and make ingots with.

Jim

11. skip

skip Member

Thanks again everyone.

I did buy RV-Antifreeze because it was only $3.00 per gallon. Trying to save a buck. Ten gallons worth.

Cooling the coolant is no problem I have a large radiator circulating the coolant controlled with a thermostat and a large fan blowing over the fins.

For a while some of the shot was looking pretty good even with the RV-Antifreeze. The ambient air temperature was around 40 degrees/f.

Not sure of thw wattage it's a 220 volt "Better Shot Maker"

Lots to learn! Thanks !!

12. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

there is a learning curve,be patient,if you have any questions jim stewart is the first to call.they call it a better shot maker for a reason,he is a big part of it,,mark

13. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I agree with the others, the distance for your drop is way to far. I have dropped lead as far as an inch but no more. Also in my exoerience, I have also experienced popcorn looking shot because of the viscosity of my coolant. I now use brake fluid without a problem. I have now been making shot for more than a year and a half and altho' I have it pretty well down pat. It's always a learning curve. Lots of luck

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

How far above the lip should the drippers be?

15. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Dave P, I just measured mine and it's 5/16ths from the lip to the bolt head flat with the holes in it.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.