1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Making Coolant?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brandon401401, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon401401

Brandon401401 TS Member

I just recently bought a shot maker and built a tank so I can start making my own shot. I am trying to decide which coolant is the best. I have concidered Hydrolic fluid, Cooking oil, crop oil, ect.. Anyone have any experience with these or have any suggestions? Thanks.. Brandon

2. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Actually, when my Dad was alive he had a tank filled with Brake Fluid. Altho' I wasn't there when he made it, judging by all the empty plastic Brake Fluid bottles, I can only assume that's what he used.

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I use liquid laundry soap.

Cheap

Non toxic

Does not ruin finishes like brake fluid.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rick, any particular laundry soap? Do you mix it percentage wise? Thanks for your help. Jackie B.

5. DeVille

DeVille Member

Jackie, do as Rick said, use soap. I had three Littleton 220 volt machines and run about 7 tons of shot some years ago. We started with Met safe water soluble hydraulic fluid until it just cost too much, than I switched to liquid ultra soap and that worked good for me. I used it at 100%. You will just have to experiment with different soaps until you get the one that works for you. All soaps are not the same. Dex

6. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Straight out of the bottle, no particular brand.

The thing I learned is to drop the shot a long distance through the coolant, takes longer to heat and helps make rounder shot. I use a container that holds about 6 gallon.

7. Trap2sons

Trap2sons Member

I bought the soap from the dollar store. It runs 2 bucks a gallon. My tank holds about 15 gallons. I heat the soap up with a water heater element I got at the local hardware store for 5 bucks I heat to about 100 degrees and then start making shot.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Trim E206 metal working coolant, Mix at 5-6 to 1. Wash off with water, and it smells good. I've tried all the rest noted above as well as a few other mixtures, and I can assure you Trim E206 is the easiest way to go.

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Shot410ga, where do find E206? I went to the local stores, and NAPA and they didn't have any and couldn't find a supplier for it. I did find it online but was pretty expensive purchasing online and shipping. Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Shooting Jack: I buy mine at Graingers, but almost any industrial distributor will carry it. It's used in almost every CNC machining center. As I recall around $30 a gallon. Mix 6/1 with water. When it needs more due to evaporation I just add the same amount 6/1. I've yet to change the original, I put in maybe two years ago. I use a 20mm ammo can with a shot drop basket, and a overflow plastic tub for run off. One short wash off in a 5 gal pail and the shot is ready to go on the screens in the sun. Almost no cleanup, great stuff.

12. riggs

riggs Member

I use dawn dish wash soap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best coolantto use for shotmaking
shot dropper coolant

shot making coolant

shotmaking coolant
shotmakingcoolant
shto making coolant