Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shot Making Coolant Question ??????????

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  686 
#1 ·
I have been going back in forth with which type of coolant to use -- started out thinking water soluble Hyd. oil would be the best to use -- I had a Thread on here asking if anyone knew of a good source for oil -- but the responses as far as clean up kinda made me change my mind -- so here is the new question pertaining to Dot 1 brake fluid -- can the shot be properly cleaned with Dawn dish soap and water or does it take a solvent -- Thanks again for any help -- Doug

#3 ·
dmm,dot 3 is what i use ,have 2, 20 gallon totes of plain water to rinse with,i get mine for free from brake shops or car service centers,they have a machine that services the brake fluid system,flushes the old & replaces with new,they re prime the machine after evry job so 40%to 50% in the scrap tank is fresh fluid.
brake fluid does have a flash point of 275 degrees f,so youll want to keep it cool,i run mine through a 10inx10in tranny cooler sitting in a bucket of ice,cold fluid is return'd at the shot maker end, it never changes moore than 10 degrees from air temp & i usually run 200-250 lbs at a run,rinses clean using 2 tanks of water,any questions feel free to ask,mark jones

#8 ·
Pat's right. I used Ajax Laundry Detergent for years and the company was sold, the new owners changes the compound and it does not work at all. I have had good luck with Pro-Pride Pink Liquid Dishwashing soap but the field of viscosity is pretty narrow. I have one more thing to try and if it works, fine. If not, I'll be going to Jim's Low Tox at $14 per gallon. All I need is about 21 gallons. The guy at the NAPA asked me what kind of a logging truck I was driving!

Ajax

#10 ·
Thanks Jim, we have a Wal-mart in the next town. I called and was told they did not stock any low tox at all. I'm going in to see for myself. The lady was real helpful but not real knowledgeable. I've checked with two other auto stores and NAPA was the only place that had it. They only stock a couple of gallons but can have what I need by the next day.

Thanks again,
Ajax

#11 ·
i have been using antifreez w/laundry detergent and found it good, when it was hot weather. when it got to 50-60 de, in my casting building the shot was poping like pop corn. i tride it again at 75 de. yesterday and as soon as the shot started flowing good it started to pop. i ran 20 lb then stoped. i then changed over to type 3 brake fluid. i tan 50-60 lbs of the best shot i have yet. the two liquids were the same temp to start. i guess it shows different things works for different people at different times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.