1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Making Coolant Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Need a litle info--
    What antifreeze should I use for a coolant??

I have made alot of shot with crop oil and found it hard to clean. I was going to use Sun detergent but I am now making a shot / coolant separator and I am afraid that I will float out the front of the shop on a cloud of suds. I see several set-ups using antifreeze, if I understant it correctly, it is motor home antifreeze. What do I ask for and do I run it straight up or add something??

Thanks
    Jim

2. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Jim: Go to a thread of the 19th of July by Herb Roach. I think there are about 85 posts from very knowledgeable shot makers. All of them had good responses, and there are some pictures there also of some set-ups. Herb

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

One thing that most dont say If you leave the antifreeze open and cover with a screen of very thin netting like the seed bed cover stuff the antifreeze will get thicker. and work somewhat better. other thing is deeper drop container.
    I have used everything that has been brought up. Hydrolic oil is still the best or automatic trany fluid which is free at most trans repair places just add 2 qts of the old ford fluid.

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I use prestone Low-Tox antifreeze with about a pint of liquid laundry soap to about 6 gallons. It seems to work best if the coolant temp is kept in the 120-140 degree range.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Shot%20Maker/shotmaker09004.flv">

Jim

5. gnprts

gnprts Member

Jim
    Do you have a funnel in the catch tank to direct the shot to the separator or will a hole work? What is the formula of pump capacity to catch tank outlet hole size? Nice set up you have!

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

1. Yes I have a funnel built in the drop tank with about a 3/8ths hole.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Shot%20Maker/?action=view&current=newshootmaker005.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. If you use a positive displacement pump a 350gph should work fine. Double that for centrifigul pumps.

Jim

7. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

My buddy uses liquid soap

8. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

i use brake fluid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shot making coolant