1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Making - Coolant Mix

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Porter, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have bought but not used a Stewart Shot Maker. (been spending my time hording and processing wheel weights--now it's time to get started) Mr Stewart suggested that I get some crop oil. He uses Hydraulic but thinks crop oil will be better because it will wash off the shot easier. I have all the parts, pump, cooler, pans, strainers, etc. Does anybody have any idea if crop oil should be diluted with water? If so about how much? I really did not think about this until I saw a thread a day or so ago where someone was using antifreeze and cutting it at a rate of 3 parts to two parts water. I know it will be a experimental process but thought someone has already tried it before and might shed some light.

2. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

I have a littleton shotmaker have played with all kinds of solution and have found that dot3 brake fluid works the best.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the crop oil is ok if you have the cooling system it is expensive about $60 for 5gal many things work it is up to you as to the way to clean the coolant off rick

4. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i like the dot 3 myself,rinses clean with water,no mixing,and if you go to car dealerships,or brake shops you may be abel to get it for free,they have a system that flushes your brake system,after each job they re prime the machine with new fluid,so the next job new fluid goes into the scrap tank,(the scrap tank holds 5 gal,and 30%-40% of the fluid in it is new)ive been using the same fluid since april,and have made 3,000-4000 lbs of shot with it.keep on droppin,mark

5. The Cedar Dell

The Cedar Dell TS Member

I have just started making shot and I am using crop oil undilluted. Happy so far. Cleans up good with water. Hunter

6. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

6 Gallons Low Tox./16 oz. liquid laundry soap -- works great -- makes great shot -- no dimples -- no worry about flash point with some oil base coolants -- easy cleanup

7. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

The Cedar Dell, how do handle the crop oil? I looked at the MSDS data and I am very concerned about using it?
    Dmm, what brand of low-tox antifreeze are you using? 10tenner

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Prestone low-tox antifreeze with about a pint of liquid laundry soap to 6 gallons, Absolutely no water added. Works good over a fairly wide temp range. Very easy clean up.

Jim

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I am also in the hording phase and still have more to process. Do a search on shot coolant or shot making and I think you will find a number of good threads where people have been kind enough so share their secret formula. Omaha

10. The Cedar Dell

The Cedar Dell TS Member

I handle it just like I would handle hydrolic oil or brake fluid. I haven't read the MSDS on either of them yet. Probably would scare me into using something else or just go ahead and pay $40.00 a bag. Good luck, Hunter

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Doggai, I wanted something that was easy to get, Fairly safe to handle, A non petroleum product with no bad fumes or smoke that would wash off easily, Something that worked well over a fairly wide range of coolant temps and still produce good shot. And it had to work well with my continous production system.

It took me over 3 months of experimenting with different coolants to come up with the one I now use.

Jim

12. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

I would try sierra brand anti freeze, may make a hole in the wallet at $20 a jug (4 quarts) but is supposed to work great straight out of the jug undiluted. I am just finishing up a new prototype for another shotmaker just need to make some sort of stand for it, gonna try the sierra and hope it's as good as people say. I also found out in the process of building that drilling .024 holes in bolts is a flippen pain in the A$$!

13. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Avidtrapshooter:
    At least you are trying to make your own shotmaker. How many drippers are you putting in your new prototype?

14. avidtrapshooter

Well everything is now built stand and everything and it's ready for a test run I just need to go and get some a that antifreeze. It has 8 drippers we initially planned on having 7 but we screwed up the spacing and ended up adding another if it can't keep up we can always plug one. Here's a few pics of what it looks like now very basic but we want to make sure it works before we add the nice things to make things run smoother.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

15. avidtrapshooter

Sorry the 1st picture is kinda blurry must moved something at the last second. There are some modifications that need to be made, as I just noticed we screwed up a measurement big time, good thing we didn't weld er solid yet.

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Looks pretty neat. What size heating element did you use, Wattage and diameter?

Jim

17. avidtrapshooter

I believe its 1200-1500 watts, 6" diameter.

18. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Just curious It looks like you have room for the larger 7.5 inch element. You can get those in the 2000-2200 watt range. Might be something to look at considering how much lead you will process with 8 drippers, Plus it would put the heat source closer to the lip and dripper area.

Jim

19. avidtrapshooter

Yes there is room for a 7.5" but first I am going to try it as is, if it works alright I will leave it if it doesn't I will put in a larger element. We didn't originally intend to make the ladle so big but I am figuring a 1500 watt element should be able to effectively heat 1" - 1 1/2" away from the outside part of the element. We'll see though it's basically going to be trial and error until we get it right. Which I have no problem with, finish the homework and studying of the day and tinker with the shotmaker in my free time.

I actually just looked at the shotmaker and you pointed out one of the first (and many more sure to come, but hey that's half the fun) design flaws, the element is about 1" from the drippers and then theres a 1 3/4" lip for a grand total of almost 2 3/4" I think I am going to have to move it forward as that seems a little to far. I very well may have to get a bigger element.

On a side not how do you calculate amperage? If I remember right its watts/volts but I am not sure, please correct me if I am wrong. For wiring to the element would 14/3 be alright?

20. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

14 ga should be ok.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

littleton shot coolant solution formula

why crop oil used in lead shot maker