1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot making and your Health

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hmb, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It can be hazardous to your health. Do your homework before you attempt shot making. HMB

2. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

Makes you talk funny and forget any bad scores you shoot!!!!!!

3. JWS

JWS Member

Melting lead from wheel weights into ingots will give off a few fumes from the rubber valve stems, cigarette butts , cigar butts, and all the other junk that you find in a bucket of wheel weights.

To melt your lead into ingots is better done where there is plenty of ventilation to remove these fumes. Never get your lead in the pot hotter than 825 degrees, then it will start to turn orange. at a higher heat of about 1000 degrees it will start to turn blue. This is when off gasing will occur. At the 825 degree mark you will start to melt any Zinc weights that might be in your mix. Zinc will stop your drippers up, as will truck weights and strip weights contain not all but some babbit that will clog your drippers.If you never go past the blue stage it is impossible to inhale any fumes from the lead. You shouldn't breathe these fumes and you should wash you hands before you eat, just like you wash your hands every time you use the bathroom, just like your momma taught you.I am 74 years old and have been making shot for over 45 years and I'm going to make for another 45 if I live that long. All these wimps that
    think lead is dangerous, they need to look at me.
    Are you old enough to remember the days when we had lead toothpaste tubes? I used to save them to make shot after I got through brushing my teeth. Have fun!
    James Stewart
    The Better Shotmaker
    256-587-0107

4. Maumee River Rat

Maumee River Rat Member

Shotmaker: could you explain what truck weights are not good to use. I have a chance to get free truck weights from a local tire shop. Thank you for any info on this.

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Yes it is dangerous! The above posting that states its safe is all relative to the intelligence of the user here. Sorry to offend but some people do not have any common sense and with that said it is dangerous so please take the appropriate precautions! Good ventilation is the key! Do some reading and get educated before making a purchase.

7. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Making shot will turn you into a deckfart clone.

8. ink ball

ink ball Member

Molten lead gives off fumes. It is a cumulative toxin (it accumulates in the liver and other organs). My opinion is that what little you will save by making your own shot isn't worth the risk. However, if it is done carefully with the appropriate precautions, it can be done safely. It should definitely be done in a well ventilated area. Use gloves and a NIOSH approved respirator that is approved for protection against lead fumes.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have never made shot but have cast a lot of bullets in my youth.

Never do it indoors. I did it under a covered porch. (note: water/sweat etc falling into a molten pot of lead is quite exciting) A garage with the door wide open would be a good place.

Use a proper respirator with the correct cartridges for lead.

Wear safety glasses.

Wear heavy leather gloves (I used welders gloves), jeans, and long sleeve shirt. (not a great summer pastime)

Have your blood Pb level checked before you start and every two months while you are using the stuff. (My lead level did not go up - so I guess I cannot blame casting for turning me into a crazed trap shooter)

Do not have kids or animals in the area. The wife should be instructed to bring a non-alcoholic refreshment every hour and stay away at all other times.

Don

10. abiezer

abiezer Guest

I think fumes from the substance(s)the shot falls into,(antifreeze,brake fluid,etc.)
    is more dangerous than the lead itself.
    Ventilation is the answer.

11. JWS

JWS Member

^^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.