1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot makers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by longshotlab, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longshotlab

longshotlab TS Member

what about shot makers?
    which one seems to be best?
    I shoot about 200 shots a week.

this will increase to about 500 with better weather.

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have used a littelton for 15 years with out a single problem..

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have a Littleton and have used it lots. I'm sure the Stewart shotmaker is good too.

4. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i love my stewart black max,keep in mind these shotmakers are not plug & play,good amount of learning,and trial&error,and you have to like to tinker,shotmaker is one part to making shot,youll need a cooling system,sorting set up,tumbler,and i reccomend a range hood to keep you from breathing toxic fumes.if all is done rite,the rewards of turning a target into black smoke with your shot is worth shotmaking.this site has alot of good info,search scottk shotmaking videos,mark jones

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Make sure you can get enough lead to make it worthwile.

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

With the price of shot starting to rise (again) a lot of these threads are starting to pop up. I cast bullets and have for about 20 years. It seems that making shot is just asking for an easy way to get hurt. Burns, fumes, it's all bad. And getting lead won't get any easier with wheel weights (lead) going away. And the cooling, sorting routine would be enough to turn me off.

If you can buy shot for $30-$35 a bag, get as much as you can. You'll be smiling when it's $50 a bag.

Just be real careful and don't let a child within 100 yards of you when you are doing it.

Bruce

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

To me making shot is just another enjoyable hobby that saves me money, I love tinkering with mine, I do have a cooling system set up, I bought 800 pounds of wheel weights for .10 a pound sometime back so my cost per bag is $2.50... I like casting boolits and making fishing sinkers also..

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

It boils down to economics and effort. Plan on paying $.30-.50/lb for wheel weights, add gas, power, coolant etc - so you have $10-15+ in a bag of home made shot. I am too lazy to go through the process to save $15 a bag.

Recent price is $30 for shot in bulk.

For 4 years, I have bought when the price dropped to under $25 and I am averaging $24/bag. I still have about 200 bags.

Bulk buys are the way to go and squirreling away enough money to buy a ton at a time when the prices are "reasonable". My biggest advantage has been lack of experience. The guys who have been shooting a long time think that anything over $20 is outrageous. With less than 5 years experience in this game, my perceptions are different.

Don Verna

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

BIG question is with the price of buying a shotmaker, the coolant supplies and ventalation, and the big 1 source of lead and heart-head ache

How much shot do you need to produce before all cost of the equipment is paid for?

Can someone who sells this equipment please give us a itemized list because the thoughts have crossed my own mind, if I could find a good source for lead.

Thanks Jerry

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Find a source of lead, store up a couple of tons, then get serious about processing your lead and making it into shot. The lead supply is drying up....

11. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i have a simple setup,my total cost with shotmaker,harbor freight parts washer(tank),used tranny cooler,200 gph pump,old cooler(cooling system),harbor freight small cement mixer(tumbler&graphite),resturant supply bagel pans 18x25 in(perforated)for sorting/drying,2 french fry baskets lined with alum.window screen(drop baskets for tank),new slightly damaged 400cfm range hood and 6in pipe to vent outside(keeps things safe)12 gallons dot 3 brake fluid(free) grand total $1000,now keep in mind i am a scrounger,so some of my stuff was free

i work for a large automotive group,and for the last 16 yrs i have had sole access to 11 tire changers scrap wheel weights(cast 100k pistol bullets/yr for a long time).been shotmaking 4 years and average 1-1.5 tons a yr.first 3 yrs sold 70% of shot made,never kept track of how mutch $$$ made,but i do know after 3 months my equipment was paid for.it can be done with out alot of expense, but use the k.i.s.s. method.mark jones