1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot makers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 686, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

for those of you that make shot, how is it going getting lead. i make my own shot and the scrap yards went down to paying .08 per lb. this took out the people that were getting the lead just to sale at scrap yards. it is a little easer to find some now. i was also saleing some at matches but that has slowed down since the factory shot has come down. that just means i can now work on my stach. i think i am making better shot each time i run it. i am using jimmy stewert mechines. is there any other.

2. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

686,the thing to worry about is getting as mutch as you can now,im finding alot of junk weights(25% + and it used to be 10%/ 5 gal.bucket)due to the fact the auto manufactures are no longer useing lead (gone to steel/zink)another year or 2 it will be real tough to get them. and i find every time i run my steawart black max it keeps making better shot every run.THANKS JIM,as far as price of factory shot goes i wont buy it untill its free,i like mine better,mark

3. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

I found the ends of outdoor pistol and rifle ranges to be a good source of lead, with just a little bit of sifting. I have had quite a bit of clean lead given to me from various friends that I still need to melt, flux and convert to ingots. I do my shotmaking outside, and I need it to get to a decent temperature up here in Connecticut before I start my next batch. I hope it's soon, since I'm running low on what I made last fall, and I really don't want to buy any if I don't have to. The last shipment my club got last week was $22.90 a bag, which is better than last year, but still not low enough for me to shut down my machine. I also have one of Jim Stewart's machines, and it is one slick rig. Nice guy, too.

4. 686

686 TS Member

I DID BUY 4 BAGS OF SHOT YESTERDAY. I WAS AT A GUN SHOP AND SAW 4 old bags of shot. some one must have traded them in. 3 bags #6 mag and 1 bag # 4 mag shot. i ask him how buch for the old shot , he said $5.00. i could not get a 20 out fast enugh and ran out with 4 bags for $20.00.
    i have found the scrap getting more in the ww. i have 5-600 to melt down in to ingots for storage. sitting on

**,000 lb of ingots. now to find some primers. they found out, why take your guns away. just freeze the primer sales. have a good day

5. 686

686 TS Member

WHAT BRAND AND SHOT SIZE and price

6. 686

686 TS Member

NICE SET UP. I HAVE ALL I NEED BUT THOUGHT IT MIGHT HELP SOME ONE. IF SOME ONE WANTS TO START MAKING SHOT AND CAN FIND FREE WW, THAT IS ALMOST LIKE FREE SHOT. MIGHT GET 40-45 LB PER HR. NOT BAD.

7. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

My number one problem is the local battery guy has contracted with most tire companies. Also, helped a guy with his setup, initially was told the information was not for himself, I will not sell the shot shot, goes to some of my sources, offers more money, you can see the picture. 10tenner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.