1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Makers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dave P, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I posted this yesterday and don't see it here nor the history section. Here goes again: I have seen many posts about making homemade shot. Most of the comment seem to be centered around Litton Shotmakers. Are ther any other brands available? Has anyone made their own with success. I'd like to hear in detail your experiences please.

2. randy-s

randy-s Member

http://www.geocities.com/jstewart1934/My_page.html?200714

3. scott k

scott k TS Member

i have a james stewart shot maker,the better shot maker.it works very well. you will get out of it what you put into it. in other words, if you set it up poorly it will be messy and alot more work. my setup works well for me, very little mess, and not all that mutch work. i spent about a year readihg, and looking at, every thing i could find. and about a mounth building the setup. large melting pot,shot maker stand with coolent tank,overflow tank,pump, heater core and fan, all on casters. 3 wash tanks. and a shot sizer.
    shot drops into a basket in the coolent tank that i can change on the run. baskets go from tank to a drip pan to the dunk tanks to a second drip pan to screens to dry. then to the sizer.i can run all day without stoping if i want. like i said, you will get out of it what you put into it.

i made round shot the first time i nused it.

i have 2 samples that i carey with me, mine and remington sts mag, and no one can tell the diference.

having fun making shot, scott

4. Dave P

Thanks for the replies. Dave

5. Grumpy

Grumpy TS Member

Scott--- sounds to me you have done your homework on this subject.I have been collecting information,equipment & raw materials for the last year & a half.Finaly this is the year to assemble every thing into a compact,mobile shot factory and start making shot.A member at the gun club gave me an early littlton shot maker to use with coments "maybe you can get it to work for you" The littleton looks tough from years of storage in a barn,and I don't imagine they gave it much of a chance (no patience).James Stewarts "better shot maker" looks good Do you have a single or double unit?? Do you have any photos or measurements of your set up you could post on this site??? Any help is appreaciated the warm weather is just around the corner to work in the shop with the doors open or on the drive way.Thanks again Wayne

6. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Grumpy,
    If you will send me your email I will send you pictures of Single Bowl, Double Bowl and the personal set-up Jim Stewart has for his own use. Its not as complicated as Scott's is but Scott has a really niffty set-up that I have asked him to send pictures of also but have not received yet. Scott is really set up to makes tons of shot without let-up.
    Ellen O'Connor

7. Dave P

Ellen: Would appreciate pictures. Thanks, Dave Promen

Drop the AA

8. scott k

scott k TS Member

i have a double. and i will post pics soon, i hope. lol

later scott

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

There are some of you guys that have this shot making thing figured out. Have you considered building and selling the whole unit, on casters, and ready to go? Many folks have the time and resource to make shot but not the expertise to build a unit to do it.

10. tlea

tlea TS Member

Can I get pics too please.

tlea at tswireless dot net

11. Grumpy

Grumpy TS Member

Ellen I would be delighted to receive pictures of James's set up,Pictures of the single and double shot makers were posted on this site not long ago.The way people have there systems set up with one operation flowing into the next operation is what I am interested in.Scott's set up to make tons of shot is the way to go were you can collect wheel weights and form ingots thru out the year then once or twice a year pull out your shot making factory and turn your ingots into shot.Last fall, early winter there was a real slick set up I believe it was www.prescott.myrf.net/shotmaker/system pictures.html an excellent set up, If you could arrange to build a small compact (factory) were ingots go in one end and shot comes out the other end eliminating as much manual labour as possible is the way I want to go.Looking forward to photos and any info.
    e-mail xxsuncoast@hurontel.on.caxx drop the x's Thank again and have a great day. Wayne

12. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Scott K...........Can you send me pictures of your set-up...... RJHilden@aol.com

13. model12s

model12s TS Member

got mine from james stewart last week the weekend came i started to make shot after i got everything workin good figurin out the do and donts i made 71 lbs of very nice shot very pleased was not as hard as i thought

14. model12s

model12s TS Member

p.s i studied on witch one i should buy and after talking to james relized the only way to go was 220v now i know why the shot was very good shot cast iron laddle and built very well call jim hes a very nice guy and can answer any questions u have thanks.......steve

15. scott k

scott k TS Member

i will post pics when i can. i can't do pics on my pc, but i,ll find some one that can. give me a little time.

thanks scott

16. Dave P

Does lead not stick to cast iron or aluminum?

17. joshif

joshif TS Member

What is the coolant you guys use with the Stewart?

18. model12s

model12s TS Member

im using atf automatic trans fluid as far as sticking on the plate were the lead drips on you coat it with lyman super moly bore conditioner this is very important part of the process so the lead being driped off drippers doesnt stick thanks.................steve

19. sakoboomer

sakoboomer TS Member

I have heard that you can use antifreeze. Do you add water to the antifreeze or do you use it straight?
    Drop the X's and shoot me an email.

Thanks

Rick

20. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If you use anti-freeze, Use the low-tox stuff. NAPA sell sierra brand and Oreilly sells a low tox made by prestone. Both work well as a coolant for making shot.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.