1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot makers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bills girl, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bills girl

Bills girl TS Member

what does it cost to get a COMPLETE set up for making shot? why dont they use reclaimed shot? thanks

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Around 600 to 1200 bucks! The machines start around 500
    Joe goldberg

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Me an another guy just got one up an going a couple of weeks ago. We had $430 in a Stewart shot maker alone, then we had $130 in low-tox antifreeze for coolant. That alone is a cost of $560. Then we built a little platform where we have everything sitting, the shot maker, 2 tanks, a pump, a cooler with fan and all of the plumbing. Our two tanks are just 2 20 mm ammo cans ($26 for both) that we modified to our liking and welded fittings to. Our pump is a 1.8 GPM sprayer pump ($65) for a ATV sprayer, this is plenty of flow. Then our cooler was a freebie since my dad owns a body shop and he had it sitting around and wasn't going on anything. Then we had probably $75 or so in the fittings and plumbing. So I'd say we're right around $800 for the entire set up.

Here are some pictures of our set up:<BR><BR>
    [​IMG]<BR><BR>
    [​IMG]<BR>This is our pump<BR><BR>
    [​IMG]<BR>And this is a picture of our cooler<BR><BR>

Hope this helps, Josh.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Reclaimed shot is not always that easy to reclaim. Our fall zone is heavy woods with acidic soil. believe me the shot is in a heavy rotted state after just a few seasons. plus a heavy rooted mass about 2" think makes for harder work. We need the heavy woods for sound buffer. I have been asking about shot screen install my self.

5. 686

686 TS Member

NICE SET UP. KEEP COLLECTING LEAD. IT WILL BE UNAVABLE SOON

6. Ryan H

Ryan H TS Member

Jolly,

What did you make the basket for catching pellets out of?

Ryan

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

We went to wal-mart and found little black baskets in the tool section, they are meant for tool storage. We brought them back and lined them with aluminum screen, then found 1/8" wire that we bent and hooked around the holes in the basket for handles and it seems to work pretty good. Hope this helps, Josh.

8. 686

686 TS Member

I GOT my baskets at staples office store. they ate in the patr where they have things to put letters and pins in for your desk. it is about6l x 3 w x 3 hi. the screen is good even for 9s. i took flat alum. 1 1/2 x 1/8 . bent it almost 90 de. used 2 1/4 bolts to the bottom. the rest sticks up for a handel. let a little shot run in my tank . then sit the basket on it. as needed i take it out pour in in a strainer over a bucket. replace the basket and bring my coolent back up to the top. with my jimmy stewert black max, with double 7 1/2 , this takes place about every 7 min. it keeps you bussy.

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Here is a picture of the basket we use, it will hold right around 50 lbs of shot and still be easy to pull out of our coolant. Our handles I believe were made out of an old hoola-hoop, which work pretty good for comfort.

[​IMG]