1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Makers- - How to dry shot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Porter, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have made several hundred pounds of shot, dropped it into water soluiable (? spelling) oil and washed it with water to remove the oil. Spreading it on a towel in the sun will take the rest of my life! I am looking at a box that will hold a thousand pounds and placing a heat lamp inside for several days. I wonder if the insulating properties of the lead will keep the heat from reaching the bottom layer of shot. I have put 75# in a pot and placed it in the oven heated to 200 deg turned off and left overnight and that worked well. I don't want to get lead poisioning from this so the oven is out. Besides the Missus didn't take to the idea very well!

Any ideas??

2. Superdog1

Superdog1 TS Member

I use a whole house furnace blower, mounted under a screen that holds the shot. The shot will bounce around for about five minutes- no heat needed.

3. Jim Porter

Ajax

Thanks! I have a mixer and had thought about tumble and blow but all I have is a fan without buying something else. I also thought about making a stand for a heat lamp that would go inside the mixer. (I changed my paddles out for a small angle inside the drum and shot dosn't cross the center of the drum. A light could be used without damage. Might give that a try!

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I do mine in a oven. Two large cookie sheets full at a time 300 degrees. Takes about 15 minutes.

Jim

5. Jim Porter

Super Dog

You talking about a squirrel cage fan?? 110V lots of air volume?

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I spread mine out on newspapers over night. The newspaper coupled with air dries it nicely. I can then use the newspaper to pour the shot into bags.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I framed a sheet of thin plywood with 2 X 4 lumber and laid it flat on my patio. Spread the shot out around 1.5 inches thick and used direct solar power to dry the shot. Tree huggers would approve of that.

I have not made shot for many years and I can still find a few shot between the blocks on my patio.

Pat Ireland

8. 686

686 TS Member

i put about 75 lb on screen laying on top of 1/4 wire mesh wood frame to wast them off. pick up the screen letting the water run off then put it on a towel on the ground. i let the florida sun do is's thing. i then sift it and tumble in a cement mixer with grafite for 3 hrs. makes black gold