1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Makers--Graphiting--Here's how

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Shot Makers--Graphiting--Here

I have tried several ways to graphite, case polishers, cement mixers, etc. and have found a way that SMOKES! A contract painter friend of mine found a used paint shaker ($100). It's the kind Lowes has under the counter and holds one gal cans only. Through trial and error here is what we came up with.

Have three one gal cans and lids. Put 6# of shot (make a dipper from a soda can) and put 1/2 T spoon of graphite in it. Put the can in the mixer for 45 seconds. Put 100# of shot in a dish pan and pour the 6# over the top. Stir with a big kitchen spoon. Take 6# of this mixed shot at a time and shate it for 45 seconds and it comes out with no dimples and looks like it has been black chromed! It will be warm to the touch. 6# does not sound like a lot but each time you remove a can set one in and set the timer. Unload the shaken shot into the finished container and re-fill with another 6#. It will keep you busy for sure!

In the viberator I was getting 25# in 45 minutes and it did not look nearly as good as this. 6# every 45 seconds adds up very quickly!

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Sounds interesting, But I can do 300 lbs in 45 minutes in my cement mixer.

Jim

3. Jim Porter

I did too but it is not as "slick and shiny" and did not remove the dimples.
    Besides, this gave me a reason to spend another $100 bucks!
    Jim

4. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

we are you guys getting your graphite from? I started making shot about a year ago. Need to find graphite and something to tumble it in.

Thanks Jason.

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I bought a big jug of it from my local farm supply. $14 for a gallon jug.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Get mine from the John Deere store.

Jim

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

So, what does the device do, pound out the dimples? Wear out the dimples? smooth out the dimples? Make the shot more round? Where do the dimples go?

8. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Go to your Napa store , a little bottle of it has lasted me all year of shot making
    Chuck

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200539515711?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Got mine off Ebay and if I could find a paint mixer I would try it,if I could justify a cement mixer I would have 1 but an old case tumbler for 10 minutes is plenty and can take care in no time.

BUT man what an idea.

Jerry Lewis

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

bet it would shine up reclaimed too !

Might even make it worth shooting.

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Help me understand where the dimples go also? Does the graphite fill in the holes? I have alway found if I have dimple going in, I have dimples coming out? What am I doing wrong?

Ajax

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Graphite is not going to make the dimples go away. If you have not handled it before it's like powdered water. All I ever did was sprinkle it on top of a pail of shot , pick it up and drop it. End of story all the shot in pail was covered. Bill

13. Jim Porter

In reply to where the dimples go--The paint mixer slams the shot together so hard and fast that it will be warm to the touch after just 45 seconds. The dimples are worn away. I'm telling you, I have tried everything and I have not seen anything come close to this. The shot looks polished and then buffed. They literally sparkle! You can rub it in your hand and there is almost no graphite transfer from the shot.

I tried a mixer and for my thinking found it slow. Shot to suit me took 25# for 45 minutes. I also use the mixer to sort shot and wash hulls and I did not like the graphite residue getting on everything else I use the mixer for. I used a big Dillon viberator and again it was 25# for 30 minutes. I know that you can tumble more for less time and be satisfied and that is OK by me. But the shot will look "dusty or dull" and will not run well through a PW or Grand, a MEC seems OK. I get graphite from John Deere dealership at about $5.00 a quart. At 1/2 t-spoon for 100# it should last a looooooong time!

Why are there dimples there to start with?? Heck I don't know but they are there and I can't seem to make them go away in the making process and I am sure they don't hurt a thing, but I want the best I can do and nothing else will do.

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If you made size 7-1/2 shot and it had dimples. After you put in trough the paint shaker would it wear off to size 8's?

Ajax

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I don't think the lead is worn off the shot to get rid of the dimples. Most likely, the shot is just pounded & rounded out by the tumbling and the dimple is filled in.

16. Jim Porter

shot410ga you are correct. It just peens down imperfections on the surface. They mike the same.
    Jim

17. biff

biff Active Member

Why put Graphite on the shot in the first place? It rides out the barrel in a plastc cup when it is shot. What does the Graphite do? Biff

18. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Heating the shot while tumbling in a steel drum (mixer) will re-round the shot to an extent. If you wash the shot to a dull black color then heat with a weed burner or such just enough that it is uncomfortable to the bare hand the shot will shine very quickly. The key is the washing. Drop in front of a blower to remover any errant stones then shoot it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.