1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot makers advice...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gargoyle!, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

up

2. gnprts

gnprts Member

Hey TShooter92
    Thanks for taking the time to share your shot making ideas. I hate melting the wheel weights and making the ingots. After all the weights are small ingots any way. I think you have just made my shot making easier... And for the record I have never used graphite either and have never had a problem with the shot going through my loader.

3. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

I'd graphite the shot anyways, I loaded up a few to pattern and had it stick and then drop when it was above the shell and it went all over the press. You don't have to do it but I would suggest it.

4. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

My dad has some kicking around from when he was thinking about mixing small amounts of it into his rifle powder, I don't remember the details of why but I know he never did it and we still have a little bit kicking around.

5. Jerry (KS)

Jerry (KS) TS Member

If there is a John Deere dealer near where you are you can get some "seed plate graphite" without ordering it.

6. TC

TC TS Member

TShooter, Most implement dealers and farm supply stores have it. It is mostly used for lubricating planter plates. Don't try the graphite grease, makes a mess. Tony

7. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

TShooter92:
    The Littleton Shotmaker may work okay the way you said but the Better Shotmaker by Jim Stewart does not operate the same as a Littleon:
    You might want to visit his web site at: http://www.geocities.com/jstewart1934/My-page.html Type the entire web URL as typed here or page won't come up.
    One would hope that before you go spouting off at how "SIMPLE" the process could be you might consider paraphrasing that your process for melting your lead into shot is only good with a Littleton.
    I realize that this is a discussion thread, but giving people the type of info you put in this thread could cause someone to ruin their shotmaker.

8. sum-rifle

sum-rifle TS Member

How would that ruin a Better Shotmaker?

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

It won't necessarily ruin the shotmaker, But you will probably get a lot of practice at unplugging drippers and cleaning crap out of the ladle. Premelting the weights at a low temp helps to get the zinc and some other unwanted stuff out of the alloy. I can probably melt and clean 1000 lbs of weights and make ingots in less time than you can wash and dry a bucket of weights.

My littleton runs seven drippers with 14 streams. 220 volt 1500 watt heater. I don't believe you could keep up with it putting wheel weights directly into the shotmaker. I usually run 5-600 lbs at a time, More if I have some help to wash and dry the shot.

I'm getting ready to start on a ton of alloy, Probably take most of a week to get it all done, polished, and screened.

Jim

10. trap41

trap41 TS Member

TShooter92, It would be interesting to see what your littleton looks like..can you post or send Pics?... does it have a staging area on the top to heat and premelt the wheel wheights.

trap

11. bojav

bojav TS Member

I have been using brake fluid with good results and it cleans up with just water. I put the shoot in a pail with a screen bottom and just spray with a hose and nosle. Brake fluid is water soluble. BOB

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

John F. I take the drippers out with the unit hot. It's can be a real pain(pun intended), But you won't break any drippers. I also take the opportunity to clean the ladle real good also.

Jim

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the never seize is great but get the high temp [copper color] the mold release that you use on bullet molds works as good and works inside of drippers to keep them clean rick

14. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

No I don't clean it Hot. I use a wire brush in a die grinder. Make sure to wear a respirator, all those oxides are not good for you.

Jim

15. SGA

SGA TS Member

Does anyone know where I can buy a Littleton?

Thank You,
    Shawn

16. SGA

SGA TS Member

Thanks Ajax, What is the difference bewteen them and where can I buy a Stewart?

Shawn

17. shot maker for dad

shot maker for dad TS Member

HELLO, I AM LOOKING FOR ONE OF THOSE LITLETON SHOT MAKERS TO GIVE MY DAD SO HE CAN HAVE SOMETHING MORE TO DOODLE AROUND WITH. IF ANY OF YA OUT THERE HAVE ONE FOR SALE AT A REALY RESONABLE PRICE PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS LANDYN16@CMSPAN.NET

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.