1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Maker Shot Price

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Virgil, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virgil

Virgil Member

I just got through reading a thread on this forum about shot making. This brought to mind a quesion as to whether anyone making their own shot also offers their product(shot) for sale. If so, I wonder what the going price might be for this type of shot? Just wondering.

Virgil

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well I just bought a machine in January,with lead getting hard to find, I have told guys I cant sell what I have. If they have lead I will make them shot for a split of it.

For what I pay for lead when I have to buy it, I figure that it cost me bout .75 cents or so per pound and that is with me just donateing my time.It is far from a fst or easy process, if I were to sell my shot and include my time I would have to have $32.50 a bag just to make it worth my time.

the steps in makeing shot

1. Make ingots,requires propane burner, a mold laddel ,a pot and a respirator. All have to be purchased.Turkey fryer$45,pot $10 at yard sale molds $35,laddel$2 dollar store, AND respirator which you need all threw the melting processes $29=$121

2.Have to run lead threw machine.Now they dont just come ready to roll,you have to make a catch basin with overflow and drain. Then figure out what to run as coolant(machine=$425,catch basin and plumbing for me was right round$30, coolant$60, total$515)

3. Got to rinse off coolant and dry it,easy right no figure out a way to do 100pounds at time can be done for bout $10.Oh and classify for size,they dont always pop out perfect size or shape.

4. Now comes graphite you got to buy it. Also you have to figure out how to do it. You can put some in a pop bottle and shake it for a while, use a tumbler,or even cement mixer cept for the pop bottle you got to buy a machine,tumbler $65 cement mixer $159

So minimum you got $726 into a basic setup,nothing elaborate.Electricity every time you use the stuff. Hours of pulling your hair out, Yea I would say $32.50 would be the lowest I will take anymore.

Hope this gives you some insight as to what goes into it besides the youtube video that just shows a machine poping out shot. I do it to help control the cost of my shooting not because I have to its more a hobby and gives you a feeling of self satisfaction when you see the targets break with what you made.

Jerry Lewis

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I think Jerry is spot on.

I just bought my own shot maker - still in the 'set up' stage.

In the past I have worked with a fine gentleman who does a 50/50 split for my prepared ingots and returned shot. I had the burner, pots, ladles, molds, etc., so making the ingots was relatively easy.

WHEN he has excess shot he sells it to those whom he does the 50/50 with for $1 per pound. Beyond that I do not know, but again, Jerry makes a strong argument.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I do some 50/50 splits with some friends, but I don't sell anything. Nor would I, it takes to long to learn how to make good shot, then to long to make it. It's more of a hobby for me, as I have the time and saves some money.

5. Virgil

Virgil Member

Thanks for the responses. I can fully understand why making your own shot has to be considered a hobby. Obviously, one could not make money doing this particularly with the cost of lead and the unavailability of "free" lead.

Virgil

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

The chinese are the only ones that get out lead cheap. Dirt cheap

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Jerry, is it really worth it? Clyde

8. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

As long as I can find lead for $.50 a pound,And I have already made enough to justify buying the machine, yes for myself it is worth it. Makeing the shot keeps me from going out and spending more money lol BUT I figure I can make it for myself still cheaper then Buying new at current cost. If shot ever comes down to $25 a bag again I will buy some new to see if it compairs with mine lol. It is more of a feeling of self gratification being able to but a good score with not only a shell I loaded but made the shot.

I had over 100 straight at the Bradford Zippo shoot and won C class champion with a 194(my second year shooting period not just ATA). My other half won NYS Lady Champion with a 193 at the state shoot shooting my loads of 17gr of promo and my homemade shot. Now we are going to the Grand for her to shoot and I dont even care if I shoot there or not.

Over all like I said as long as I can find lead cheap enough I can do it so I can keep affording to play the game. I do it for splits of other peoples lead as well but they got to have minimum 100pds to get me motivated.

Jerry Lewis

9. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i get the lead from 8 tire changers,in a large automotive group,and the way things are now,im re considering selling any of mine. the scrap factor per 5 gallon bucket ov wheel weights has really changed.when i started getting these weights 16 yrs ago there was 5%-10% junk weights,now 50% plus per 5 gallon bucket. and i started to notice the change about 3-4 years ago. my advice,get what lead you can(hard,soft),because if it stays like this it will be alot worse in 3- 5-10 yrs.mark jones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.