1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Maker Set Up Photos

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GoldEx, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

As promised earlier, here are a few photos of our set up. It it is working pretty well for us. First photos is the heat exchanger made from a duct booster fan and a trans cooler with some wood blocks to take up the gaps and give something to screw into. It ain't pretty but it does work well. It is connected to a rheostat to control fan speed so as to be able to control level of cooling.
    Jeff

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

The opaque white poly tube held by the orange clamp is just draining and does not belong on the set up. Double elbo set up hanging out of the gray tote is the pick up/suction end. Fluid is drawn here and sent to pump and then through 3/4 black pipe to bypass loop and heat exchanger. Flow to heat exchanger can be controlled by opening or closing bypass loop slightly. Fluid is allowed to waterfall over the far side of the 20 mm ammo can which is tilted ever so slightly away from the shotmaker. This also helps to cool the fluid as it exposes it to the air for the trip down the side of the can. Pressure lines are braided clear vinyl beverage tubing. Not really intended for this application but we wanted to be able to see inside the lines for air bubbles coming from pump cavitation.

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

This is the Procon pump and 1/2 hp dayton motor. What a steal on ebay. This pump and motor are a dream.

Jeff

4. powder-em

powder-em Member

Nice Jeff looks all good. What are you using for coolant. I'm also setting a system up and have been trying different coolants. Trying to find something that is easy to clean off. Non Toxic antifreeze works good and cleans up like a dream but I seem to get some little pin holes in some of the shot. I have to pattern some of it to see if it affects the flight of the shot. Scores seem the same as usual. After trying several liquid soaps and trying to clean the shot,I'm ready to sacrifice a little quality for the ease of rinseing that the non tox provides. At 16 Yds. I can't beleive the difference would be noticible. Thanks Dave

5. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Jeff:
    We really like your set-up pictures. You really are an "engineer" after all.
    You must be really enjoying your Stewart Shotmaker!!
    Happy Shotmaking!!!
    Ellen

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Bigmac, Mix a little liquid laundry soap in the antifreeze. I use a pint to five gallons and the little dimples/pinholes will go away. It will still wash up real easy.

Jim

7. powder-em

powder-em Member

Jim thanks for the info. That is the type of help this site should be all about. I will try that today. Are you using the pink 50 below or the blue 100 below non tox. Thanks again Dave

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I'm using the green low-tox stuff made for vehicle cooling systems. I found the RV stuff unacceptable. Too thin and cooling rate was too fast.

Jim

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Big Mac -

We are using Straight Dexron/Mercon ATF. A little on the messy side when we have to wash the shot but like I have said in earlier posts, we have yet to make a batch of shot that was unshootable. Not pretty sometimes, but no comet tails, splatters, big craters etc. We are through our first 1500 pounds and that was all made before we had a stable process or a way to maintain coolant temp. We currently wash the shot in a 3 stage process. 3 5 gallon buckets with 1.5 - 2 gallons of gas in each. A fourth bucket to drain into. Shot is rinsed in first gas and then poured into a strainer to drain over empty 5 gallon pail. Shot is then dumped into gas can #2. By the time you drain and dump into #3, the ATF is gone and the shot is clean. Once the gas in can one is real bad, we move each can up one position and replace can #3 with fresh gas. The ATF in the gas does not seem to bother my lawn mower any. Maybe I'm making leaded gas, who knows. We currently lay the shot out on the floor on top of some old beach towels and run an old box fan blowing across the shot overnight. By morning, it is dry and does not smell of gasoline. Ready to screen and then graphite.

The next things I am going to do is hook up a hot water heater element on a bracket that I can put in the tank to get the coolant temp up to operating temperature before I turn on the shotmaker. This will help to stabilize the process even more. Last thing is to install some kind of small strainer basket to catch the shot that comes out at the beginning and the end of a run. Shot starts coming out of the drippers at around 620 degrees. I only want the shot that comes out after lead temp is over 700. Some kind of mesh basket immersed into the coolant that can be pulled up and out once the lead in the ladles reach 700 is my goal. Still thinking on it.

The other is to devise a better method of sorting and screening the shot. I am currently working on a rotating drum set up. I'll keep you posted.

Jeff

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

What temperature are you trying to get your coolant to before you turn on the shotmaker? Are you using an auto temperature guage to mesure it?
    Thanks

11. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

My partner was making the first batch at around 100 degrees and shut off the unit when the temp got to 145. Now that we have a good temperature control for the coolant, I would like to start making the shot at 120 degrees and begin taking samples every 5 degrees up to around 175. Comes from a process engineering background. I want something that is repeatable as the sun coming up in the morning. I don't want to make shot, I want to make good round shot. I am using a digital thermometer which is good up to 250 degrees.

Jeff

12. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

ive been using brake fluid for coolant,rinses off with water,and i get it free from car dealerships,or brake shops.they have machines that flush your brake systems,and every time they finish a job they re charge the system with new fluid,so the next service the new goes into the scrap tank(holds 5 gallons)so 40%-50%in the tank is new fluid.,my tank holds 15 gallons ,my tank consists of a 20 gallon parts washer purchased from harbor freight for $70 notch'd on one end for my single ladel stewart better shot maker ,i use the pump that came with it to run the fluid through a 10"x10"tranny cooler sitting in a 5 gal bucket of ice,on a 70 degree day ive never had my temp change over 10 degrees,i also have added a ball cock drain valve where the drain plug used to be and on the top side i use a stand pipe to regulate my coolant level.my plan is to purchase a 2nd shot maker for a different size shot at a later date,hope this may be useful,mark

13. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

forgot to add,the size sorting set up i use is a 18"x25" perforated aluminum bagel pan purchased from a commercial resturante quipment supplyer,it will let #8 shot&smaller pass through the holes i had to drill out 250 holes on one corner for my 7.5 shot to pass through.for drying i lay out window screen on the pans and it allows air flow from both sides.mark

14. powder-em

powder-em Member

Jim 101, Can you tell me a little more about the low tox you are using. Brand where you get it ect. The only green stuff for vehicles I am aware of is perminant glycol based anti freeze. But there may be stuff I haven't seen out there. More info will be great. Thanks Dave

15. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Both Oreilly And NAPA sell a low-tox anti-freeze. I can't remember the brand name right now. One of the brands is called sierra. They are a propelene glycol based, Not ethelene glycol.

Jim

16. powder-em

powder-em Member

Do most of you guys making shot try to keep the coolant at a constant high or low temp. Is room temp ok or does the coolant have to be warm before starting. I've tried everything I can think of for coolant but they all have been at room temp and only ran enough shot to check the quality. A percentage of pellets have a pin hole in them. Maybe it is nothing to worry about, but if nobody else gets them I must be doing something wrong!!! Any ideas?? Thanks Dave

17. powder-em

powder-em Member

Jim I take it that as you said you add a pint of laundty soap to five gals. of low tox? Thanks again Dave

18. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

BIGMAK
    AFTER TALKING TO JIM STEWART,AND SCOTT K THEY FEEL THE COOLER THE BETTER,TOO HOT AND SHOT GETS OUT OF ROUND,I HAD THE PROBLEMS OF SHOT HAVING A DIMPLE(HOLE?)AND WAS TOLD 2 REASONS# 1 LIP OF SHOT MAKER WAS TOO FAR AWAY FROM COOLANT(MUST BE 1/4" OR LESS)OR#2 COOLANT WAS TOO THICK.I RAISED MY COOLANT LEVEL AND THE BACK END OF THE SHOT MAKER(FASTER ROLL DOWN LIP?) AND GOT GREAT LOOKING SHOT,HOPE THIS HELPS,IM STILL IN THE LEARNING STAGE,BUT TALKING TO JIM&READING POST HERE SHURE DOES HELP,MARK

19. powder-em

powder-em Member

Anyone else???

20. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Plinker -

What is the name of the restaurant supply? Is it a local place or a chain? I'm intersted in the pan. How much did it run?

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.