1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Shot Maker replacing burner plate*

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goosecall, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Spent most of the day fixing my shot maker after it died. The High temp wires were corroded and broken off. Blew two fuses, and ended up replacing the burner plate. The burner plate did not last long, I had not even made a ton of lead with the machine. How often do you shot makers have to change the burner plate? 10tenner

2. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Not a big deal..I bought the higher temp burners to upgrade it to the "black max" simple to change out and very cheap. I have ran 2000 plus pounds on it without any trouble.

3. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

The Black Max model, second unit to go out, one from another local shot maker. Jim told him it is one of things that will go, and not free replacement! Both burners arked, and wires burned through. Does anyone know of good online source for burners? 10tenner

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

your best deal is an applance repair shop . But if you are in to the online stuff Amazon .com. Jim uses steel screws replace with brass. I think now he is using the High temp wire If yours dont have replace the wire too. I took switch out also nad just un plug it

5. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

ricks1, I was thinking of using brass screws. One screw was so corroded I had to use my dremel cut of tool to get it off. I was thinking of spraying the threaded post that holds the burner plate to the ladle with some graphite spray to keep it from corroding. 10tenner

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Turbo rebuilders use anti-seize with a "nuclear" designation on the tube.

7. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Do any of you guys know the brand name of burner ?... I am thinking of going to a hotter burner and would like to see what is available ... also what is the wattage on the Black Max burner ? ... Thx.

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

The heating elements are most likly chromalox brand. I have a 1500 watt unit in my shotmaker. Should be able to get them at any major appliance repair center.

Jim

9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Any 6" four turn 1500 watt burner should work. If you have not seen a burner plate click the url above and look at the first photo. Were the wire meets the burner coils is some red plastic, this will disintegrate due the intense heat, and this is were the arcing took place, and the wire ends were burned through.

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

If you replace burner use the brass screws and stove wire. You can get it at electric supply or applance repair . You dont need 3 colors black will work for all 3 wires. The insulation is only needed under the burner dont put it around the wires .That is what caused the rust in the first place. I rebuilt mine and have had no problems. I did drill about 10 1/2in holes on the upper flat to let heat out. It also helps to preheat the ingots. I dont use a switch I wired direct and just plug it in.. That way you have 2 wires to burner and one to the side of shotmaker for a ground wire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what electric burner is need for best shot maker